'92ish Marin Muirwoods

lovemarin

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I've moved to New Zealand and left my old Palisades Trail in the UK, which I never got around to fixing up. To fill the void, I kept an eye out for old Marin's over here. Today, I bought an old Muirwoods for a tenner! Bargain!

I can't work out what year it is, as the paint job doesn't seem to match the catalogues in the archive. It has stickers saying its a Tange cro-mo butted tubes...Anyways, I'm thinking of doing the following to it:

- Strip and paint job, not sure what colour yet but its definitely going to have a lot of fluro
- New gears, crankset, cassette, etc - I'm thinking maybe Shimano LXS or XT...if that fits?
- New decals;
- New grips;

I am hoping the wheels are okay, but I've heard you sometimes need to get new wheels if the new gears need a new hub. This is the first time I've done a lot of this so if anyone has an tips I'm all ears :)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 284
My money is on a 1990 as the rear seatstays are thin...in 1991 they introduced "afterburner" rear stays which were thicker. As far as the colour goes it looks like "euro" colours. See this thread here for a bit of info:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=255228

And see pic attached for a 1990 Muirwoods europaint...

As for what needs replacing the 1st thing to do if you haven't already is put it all together...ride it if possible see how the wheels spin, gears shift etc. If you find any problems then try to figure them out but dont throw money at it until you find a problem...

Hope this helps

Doug

Attachments

• 1990 Muirwoods OrangeYellow.jpg
    1990 Muirwoods OrangeYellow.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 256
Thanks Wookiee! It seems the rims are alright, the rear cassette might be...the chainset is not. Frame seems all good although the paint has been scratched right off in places. I've picked up a seat post (26.4mm) and seat, and some new grips that look like the old ones. All been very cheap so far, but I'm thinking I might splash out on a nice new set of SLX gears...maybe get the paint re-done too, although I quite like the rustic look at the moment, just worried about the exposed bits of metal

lovemarin":15t3veep said:
Thanks Wookiee! It seems the rims are alright, the rear cassette might be...the chainset is not. Frame seems all good although the paint has been scratched right off in places. I've picked up a seat post (26.4mm) and seat, and some new grips that look like the old ones. All been very cheap so far, but I'm thinking I might splash out on a nice new set of SLX gears...maybe get the paint re-done too, although I quite like the rustic look at the moment, just worried about the exposed bits of metal

Clear nail polish will do nicely on that exposed steel, not too expensive either, also the little bottles of clear enamel from plastic model kitsets works very well, you will need to purchase a brush and thinners to clean the brush though. It also works well on hex head bolts too.
NZ has a lot of rain and extreme humidity, gotta protect these beauties.

Back