I just built my first wheel!!

misteroo

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Just built up my first wheel. :cool:

The hub on my 1991 Marin Eldridge was knackered!! So I got a 1991 purple anodised hub with cartridge bearings cheap off EBay. Made by T Gear....( anyone heard of them? )

It's straight and round...dead chuffed with myself....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 589
misteroo":bhge5x57 said:
Just built up my first wheel. :cool:

The hub on my 1991 Marin Eldridge was knackered!! So I got a 1991 purple anodised hub with cartridge bearings cheap off EBay. Made by T Gear....( anyone heard of them? )

It's straight and round...dead chuffed with myself....

Good stuff! Looks good. I've been wondering about buying my own bits and doing this myself for a long time – but haven't plucked up the courage yet. How did you find the process and how long did it take you?

Nothing like the butt clenching excitement of downhilling on your first build set of wheels ;)

M-Power":13ge57w5 said:
Nothing like the butt clenching excitement of downhilling on your first build set of wheels ;)

I expect so – as long as one doesn't follow through at the bottom! :)

Nicely done.

Building your own wheels opens up a whole load of possibilities; I recently took a Mavic 717 rim off a wheel and replaced it with a 517 I had in stock, which then gave me a matching pair of Mavic rims and Hope hubs, ready for my next build.

groovyblueshed":39mco9pm said:
M-Power":39mco9pm said:

I expect so – as long as one doesn't follow through at the bottom! :)

The bicycle wheel is the strongest man made structure or used to be :shock:

Find the steepest longest drop off you can, Dunstable downs springs to mind and go for it ! Full report afterwards please :cool: hopefully not from A & E :LOL:

You should get a spoke tension gauge and check you have even tension. Oh have you stress releived it, you will hear pinging if you have not. However good work always satisfying. Next week I am going to write up full guide to wheel building for this site.

Back