Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:49 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ZOOM components
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:50 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Early Zoom stuff is cool, They seemed to lose their way by the mid nineties but back in '91-3 it was the kit to have with your paper money... Me and all my mates had 150mm stems on our dinky 17" frames :oops: :lol:

I also had a cable hanger (these are ace and still available NOS from a chap on Ebay in 1") as well as some brahma bars. My current winter hack is wearing some as I type :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:31 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Plenty of NOS Zoom here; cheap too:
http://www.mtb-kult.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=zoom

Zoom was the first upgrade step if you had a low-mid level bike with standard components and could not afford Ritchey/Controltech/Syncros/Ringle. I liked the Ti-finish on them. However, as a thirteen year old, I saved a bit and then "invested" in a light Ritchey bar and a Controltech stem for my 1993 Cannondale M500. I was soooo proud! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 am 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Rahbari wrote:
Plenty of NOS Zoom here; cheap too:
http://www.mtb-kult.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=zoom

Zoom was the first upgrade step if you had a low-mid level bike with standard components and could not afford Ritchey/Controltech/Syncros/Ringle. I liked the Ti-finish on them. However, as a thirteen year old, I saved a bit and then "invested" in a light Ritchey bar and a Controltech stem for my 1993 Cannondale M500. I was soooo proud! :lol:

Great link! Just got paid today – oh dear...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:33 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I can only echo skoliozas sentiments on P1 as I had all the parts pictured BiTD and the seatpost is still my favourite, featuring on two of my current bikes, as are the Brahma Bars on another three! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:33 pm 
Retro Guru

Zoom stuff was excellent.All the early carbon/weight weenie exotica had a limited lifespan.I wouldnt dis it due to its price.Besides,its pseudo ti look was pleasing to the eye. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:45 am 
Retro Guru

feetabix wrote:
I've a completely impractical 150mm zoom stem on my fisher....steering the bike uses the same muscle group as a flymo would......titanium finish, love it to bits!.....the stem of the working class man!.....power to the people!.... :D

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:18 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Another moderate fan here, although I have to say it was Kalloy Uno in blue for me, with no concept of what was 'enough'!

Zoom stem here, 100mm for inch steerer:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=271332

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:45 pm 
Retro Guru

Bought a zoom "AL 110" bar when they first came out back in '91 I think kit was? I had low expectations as the brand was new, the claimed weight was ridiculously low and they felt as thick as a coke can.
3 years later I sold them with the bike, they'd been ridden daily and punished HARD ( no bouncy forks to cushion the blows)
Ended up being a big fan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:15 am 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
bren wrote:
Bought a zoom "AL 110" bar when they first came out back in '91 I think kit was? I had low expectations as the brand was new, the claimed weight was ridiculously low and they felt as thick as a coke can.
3 years later I sold them with the bike, they'd been ridden daily and punished HARD ( no bouncy forks to cushion the blows)
Ended up being a big fan.

The packaging design from the time had a certain "where's this brand come from and I'm not sure what the quality is going to be like" vibe, but after over 20 years on, my stem, post and brahma bars are still in heavy use. They were very light, great value for money bitd and have proved their worth over some of the exotic stuff. Big fan too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Out of interest, is the new stuff made by the same company? I've picked up a new 'Zoom' seatpost for a tenner, and the logo does look very similar. It also looks very well made, machined shaft with forged clamps and very smooth anodising. Not especially light, but I'm not doing a weight-weenie build.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next