8 speed XTR STI servicing

SSBonty

Devout Dirtbag
Hi - I have an 8 spd XTR STI RH unit that seems to have stripped something inside - when clicking through the gears it only seems to have about 5 clicks and won't make the end of the range. Is it possible to service/repair these units, what parts would I need, are there any web instructions, and as a last resort would the M951 barend shift upgrades posted in the 8spd XTR post below fit and solve the problem?

Thanks,

Ian

DO NOT open them up! ( Pandora's box )
Sounds like the old chesnut of a problem. Disconnect the cable at the deraillieur.Unscrew the gear indicator window ( watch where you put the screws ) and ( whilst pulling on the gear cable by hand ) click it into 8th gear. Tilt the gear indicator to the left ( so the orange arrow falls to the " H " and then screw back on. Tell me how you get on

ozzie mike in thameside cycles in kingston upon thames (went bust!) used to be able to fix STIs.. no idea how. fixed mine in 99 & they;re still working sweet.

Thanks - I'll give it a go (they're off the bike at the moment anyway) - if not I might get one of those upgrade kits!

Ian

Back