Weinman Bontrager Rims – Good buy?

WWC

Senior Retro Guru
Morning all

Picked these up last night for £30 the pair.

Liked them as they look a bit different to go with some NOS Bici hubs.

Good buy or waste of cash?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 502
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 503
Each to their own but ive never been one for non eyeletted rims :? Are they even double walled? Dont look like it :?

The Bontrager BCX rims are a good purchase. BCX1 for the front as it is lighter ~390g & BCX2 for the rear at ~410g; from kitchen scale measurements IIRC. No eyelets were used as the spoke bed is thicker than that used for eyeletted rims. I have a pair built with Deore LX hubs (M563 & M565 series) fitted to a Bontrager Race Lite and they are perfect. I previously used another pair on a Diamond Back Axis in the mid-90's but managed to destroy one on a rocky downhill due to under inflation of the tyre.

They should last a long time if you build the wheels well. The wheelset that I have is close to 20 years old and still going strong. Mine are from late 1993 or 1994 as they have the earlier oval stickers and '93 NORBA XC Champion' stickers attached. I also have another three pair of BCX1 & BCX2 rims as pictured as back-up or for future Bontrager builds (such as the Ti Lite I'm working on!).

Here's trusty Bikepro with a photo of the rim cross section:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/rims/bont.shtml

Great bit of info chap, appreciated!

Racer-x on here is after some of these so if you have any spare...

Friend of mine had some of these on M900 XTR hubs a while back so they're period correct for your build and must be decent as you wouldn't put mince rims on such lovely hubs. Seem to remember his wheels being very light.

Cheers for the vote of confidence.

I really can’t find much out about the hubs to be honest.

The seller assumed Italian but another thing on the net said Swiss?

I got them from BLB (Brick Lane Bikes) who are starting to carry some retro MTB parts.

They’d have bought them off a customer as they deal in rare and weird.

Worth a look.

Good quality rims at a good price......only prob i have found is that deep sidewalls and narrow width make them a real @rse to get tyres on and off.

Back