Dug Massif out of the shed not ridden for 10 years.

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
This bike was mine 20 years ago, then my Sister and then my Mum.
It's been sat in the shed, I did have it out a year or so ago but going to give it a good lubricate and clean up :)

More like 22 years thinking about it.

The bike was always used with the seat right down..

It was sized at local bike shop, I think it was normal to have the seat right down in 1991.

Just taken it round the block, rides great after all these years, gears work, brakes work.

Pretty sure the early Raleighs only came in 21" or 23" :cool:

I remember secretly wishing my parents had bought me a Massif instead of a Montage - although I can't remember why, as the spec on yours looks almost identical! Maybe I was just jealous of the mauve fade :LOL:

Montage was blue wasn't it?

My mate had the purple Mirage?

You love my mauve fade :LOL:

Only marks are from my Sister's bike lock when she rode it into work.

Raleigh ownership went:

Lizard, Massif, Peak (pink one) Summit.
Peak went back to the shop, it kept going wrong, I think it was cursed or something.

Montage was the same colour as the 'turquoise' bits on your Massif. Had real 80s-style graphics too :)

If you wanted a Massif over a Montage then it was the paint scheme you were after. A Massif was high tensile steel throughout, a Montage at least had a Reynolds 501 main triangle and possibly fork.
Our MacRetro member 'Big Eck' rode one around the Lake Distric National meet in 2012
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=189138&start=10
Think it/he won 'Spirit of the Ride' :cool:

I know Big Eck had one.
Seen posts before about it.
I know he's only had his a couple of years but wanted one because he had one years ago.

Back