Possible p7 rebuild

Markorangep7

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, please stick with me as I am very new to all this, I would like to start a rebuild of my 1996 orange p7.
I am a fairly confident DIY bike tinkerer from the past but life and family commitments have rightfully taken over but I would really like a project and the builds I have seen here are cracking!!
My first question would be.....
I have stxrc rapid fire shifters, could I run v breaks with these as in the past I seem to remember bikes running seperate shifters and break levers???
The second problem I have is a small dent in the down tube at the bb end about 3 inches up, does anyone know if this could be taken out as the entire build hinges on this???

Please help!! :D

The only way of sorting the dent would be to have it filled, this is fine if the frame is being painted but if it is a p7 nickel it will look a mess, maybe more so than the dent, worst case you could have a new tube put in, again would need a repaint as not many people do plating and those that do charge a fortune for it.

Regarding the shifters, if they are brake and gear levers combined (sti units) and they are designed for cantilever brakes then you will need new levers for both if you want to go to v brakes. While this is a cost the bonus is being able to maybe upgrade the gearing at the same time should you wish to do so.

jonnyboy666":271nmfxe said:
The only way of sorting the dent would be to have it filled, this is fine if the frame is being painted but if it is a p7 nickel it will look a mess, maybe more so than the dent, worst case you could have a new tube put in, again would need a repaint as not many people do plating and those that do charge a fortune for it.

Regarding the shifters, if they are brake and gear levers combined (sti units) and they are designed for cantilever brakes then you will need new levers for both if you want to go to v brakes. While this is a cost the bonus is being able to maybe upgrade the gearing at the same time should you wish to do so.

Thanks for the help, it's out the shed now and ready to go to work tomorrow so I can have a good look at it in my breaks!!

It is the nickel version and as musc as I love it like that the idea of powder coated in black is appealing to me but its early days so will keep the progress posted

here's a couple of mine for inspiration ;)

P7 number 1
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85640&hilit=nickel

P7 number 2
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=273936&p=2045928&hilit=nickel#p2045928

there are loads more on here, some people have kept them original and catalogue correct, others have done more modern builds, painted, polished etc, Gil_M can sort you out stickers if you need them.

remember though that the nickel has a lacquer over the top of it, so if you polish it ideally you'll need to remove that first then relacquer after to stop it rusting

:D

jonnyboy666":qgyk1j3g said:
here's a couple of mine for inspiration ;)

P7 number 1
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85640&hilit=nickel

P7 number 2
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=273936&p=2045928&hilit=nickel#p2045928

there are loads more on here, some people have kept them original and catalogue correct, others have done more modern builds, painted, polished etc, Gil_M can sort you out stickers if you need them.

remember though that the nickel has a lacquer over the top of it, so if you polish it ideally you'll need to remove that first then relacquer after to stop it rusting

:D
Okay so being new to this, how do I contact Gil.

Cheers

Back