Best way of removing headset cups

Bryncrug72

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Stripping two bikes apart this weekend, what's the best way to remove headset cups ? In the old days I did it with a screwdriver and a hammer, just wondering is there another way ?

Bryncrug72":2g30ut5w said:
That is is if you haven't got a headset removal tool !
( should have added that bit in ) !

I use an old Seatpost it's Aluminium so won't damage the cups when you strike it with a mallet or hammer. You can cut a cross and splay the Seatpost out so it touches the rim of the cups, headset removal made simple :)

Sometimes I use a spare plastic pipe, about a meter long, to use with a little hammer.
It wears out soon but never damages headset cups.

c

That's a good idea as well, I've a length of high impact conduit in the garage a short length of that might work, if not I'll hack saw the seatpost !
I wasn't going to get the screwdrivers out ! That was in the days when we didn't know better and there wasn't a forum to ask !
;)

But a headset remover ( a good one that is) makes easy work of this job. Proper tools make the difference when things get difficult and if you are going to work on bikes then why not use the correct tools for the job rather than making do all the time. I have found the screwdriver method takes to much time.

A coupe whacks of a hammer with a proper cup tool and you are done.

Back