riser bars with a velocity stem

ellist

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After looking at this for a minute I was sure this was impossible. However with a very big screwdriver and a pair of molegrips they were finally in. anyone else bodged this too?

Take the bolts out, turn them round and then thread them through the screw section at the back of the bar clamp. Place a 1p coin in the slot of the bar clamp in front of each of the bolts and wind the bolt on to them. Once the bar clamp is wound open enough the bars will fit without damage to them, then unwind the bolts and take them out then pop them back through the right way. This will open the bar clamp gently and without any sharp edged tools like screwdrivers or mole grips. This was the way we used to do it with Syncros stems and velocity stems BITD.

Good thinking Batman. I carefully prised them open with the screwdriver and used the molegrips to close bit by bit

Once had a guy come into the shop with a snapped stem after he used a wrecking bar to open it! Now that was the wrong way....

As long as it was a steel velocity you'll be fine, steel is a little more forgiving than the alloy stems and doesn't mind being bent about so much. At least you know there's a better way when you come to take em out again!

Cut the riser bar in half, insert each half into the stem from each side, tighten the bolts.

Then sell the bike to your worst enemy.

I used a pedal spanner to lever open a single bolt Kore stem enough to push my Easton monkeylites through with help from a wall. Doubt I'll ever be able to separate them again.

Now these are in

And these arrived today. What's a boy to do

Answers on a postcard please

Attachments

• rps20131017_182614_831.jpg
    rps20131017_182614_831.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 295
  • rps20131017_182817_790.jpg
    rps20131017_182817_790.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 295
I put an X-lite XC riser on my MTRAX Ti stem a few years back. Went in OK but wish I'd thought of the penny trick.

Latest posts

Back