Pace frame V brake fitting problem

Mijbil

Dirt Disciple
I'm trying to fit V's to the rear bosses on my F5, and have spent ages trying to fathom how the right side parallel push pivots are out of line and the pad is dropping off the rim.

With further investigation it seems that the pin hole on the brake boss is out of line (see photo) , and I have discovered that the aluminium part which surrounds the boss on the problem side is free spinning. The other side is solid, so I'm guessing this is the problem.

Any ideas how to get around this? will a dollop of superglue do the job to stop it spinning, or do I need to replace the boss? Any idea where I can find V bosses for this frame?

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 372
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 372
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 372
Here you go. Not sure what keeps these together to be honest, seems a strange set up!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 333
I think they were around before the parallel linkage v-brake so it wouldn't have been a problem at the time. Will it not tighten enough from the brake stud? It could have worn slightly over the years. Will a thin washer fit between the parts?

It's literally round metal on round metal, I'm not sure what could have worn, as it is machined and a tight fit as it is, it needed hammering out.

There is glue residue on there, so I'm guessing they were made that way. Is there a standard boss out there which people use for v's on Alu frames?

To me, it looks like you just need to tighten it all up and use a spanner around the part/spring tension adjuster to hold it in place while you nip the boss tight, much like the onza/dia compe brakes that don't use this part on the frame as they have their own in-built one to vary spring tension. Maybe the boss thread is too long so you can't nip it up enough before it runs out of room?

They still used them on the f8.You are
Correct the brake spring bit is held in place by the stud. Firstly give it all a bloomin good clean. Glue residue - sure it isn't just galling residue/salts? Pretty sure mine aren't glued, so I'm gessing they weren't correctly fitted to the frame (or had simply worked loose over time).Try some thread lock on the frame thread, then simply tigthen up the brake stud whilst holding the brake spring tensioner in the correct place (in a cone adjustment stylee)

If that doesn't work have a word with Pace, they might still have spares, if not try Justbackdated.

That makes sense, I've been trying to tighten the wrong bit, it's so obvious now. Its actually the other side where it doesn't spin freely that is the problem, and has been making me think the other one was faulty.

So I've cleaned both, then set the spring adjuster piece in the right place, holding it in place while tightening the boss, and the boss has held it in position on the frame. Sorted!

Thanks for the advice!

Back