Upgrading from 8-spd to 9/10-spd

Doomanic

Devout Dirtbag
Can someone explain what's needed to upgrade from 8-spd to 9 or 10-spd?

It's for my bro's Club Roost from the late '90's. It's running a single ring up front and an 8-spd cassette. It's got a Hope Ti-glide hub and disc set-up on the rear, which he's stuck with because it's not a disc frame so it has the torsion bar for the rear caliper and a special adaptor on the dropout.

I can guess it will need a new chain and front chainring, as well as the cassette and shifter, but will the wheel need to be redished?

The 8spd freehub will accept a 9spd cassette, so you would just need a chain, cassette and shifter. no need to replace the chainring unless its worn.

no dishing needed.

10 spd will be the same but you will need to replace the rear mech as 10spd uses a different cable pull.

Doomanic":2ksh8e7v said:
Can someone explain what's needed to upgrade from 8-spd to 9 or 10-spd?

What's actually needed to upgrade 8sp. Nothing. If you want to fit a weaker narrower chain that will wear out faster then you need:

for 9sp: shifter, cassette & chain.
for 10sp: rear mech, shifter, cassette & chain.

Just my little ol opinion for those who care! I have a 21 speed 3X7 1991 Team Marin and a 2011 Marin Team CXR 20 speed 2X10 and I have to say I prefer the 2X10 set up more simple and all the range of gears that I need! (Still love the 91 Team though for eva!)

Doomanic":1te9kt8x said:
Thanks cheesy, so the chain pitch is the same, it's just narrower?

I think chain pitch is next on the parts manufacturers "list of things to change" :LOL:

JamesM":2g5r6srq said:
Doomanic":2g5r6srq said:
Thanks cheesy, so the chain pitch is the same, it's just narrower?

I think chain pitch is next on the parts manufacturers "list of things to change" :LOL:

Of course, a chain with a 1" pitch would be lighter, and less teeth on the chainrings would wear out faster. So it's clearly another upgrade!

Back