Frame I.D. Help please - Wilderness Trail Bikes?

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
Good afternoon All

I have recently picked up a frame badged Wilderness Trail Bikes - can any one help i.d. it please?

Lots of pictures:

The WTB, Cog Hog, TNT Performance Products and Club Roost stickers were all part of a MBUK sticker sheet back in the day. The blue Marin head tube badge and grey frame/yellow forks points to a possible Marin Muirwoods? Forks are wrong for one of those though. Definitely not a Wilderness Trail Bikes frame though unfortunately, but you knew that.

benbonty":2h6g80l1 said:
That WTB, Cog Hog, TNT Performance Products and Club Roost stickers were all part of a MBUK sticker sheet back in the day. The blue Marin head tube badge and grey frame/yellow forks points to a possible Marin Muirwoods? Forks are wrong for one of those though. Definitely not a Wilderness Trail Bikes frame though unfortunately, but you knew that.

Thanks for that. I had no idea about the sticker sheets nor did I recognise the Marin Logo. I wasn't holding my breath that it was in fact a WTB although a stoll through the catalogue scans suggested some similarity.

Do a google images search for 1991 Diamond Back Axis. Not saying that's what it is (I had one and it was a different colour), but all the distinctive features such as the stay bridges are the same.

walleater":2lqyjou7 said:
Do a google images search for 1991 Diamond Back Axis. Not saying that's what it is (I had one and it was a different colour), but all the distinctive features such as the stay bridges are the same.

Just walked past my 91 Axis - it had no rack mounts on the seat stays like that one, but my 91 Apex does. Also, that year Axis (and Axis Team) had bigger diameter tubes (takes a 30.4 seatpost, for example) - downtube and top tube look a far bit bigger than the normal steel frames from that year (like my AVR framed 91 Apex, which takes a 27.0 seatpost).

I'd agree, that DB used those outer sleeves / butting at the top seat tube junction, and I suppose it could be another DB frame from around that era - it's just not a 91 Axis.

Yes, that's why I put Diamond Back 'something' in my first post ;-)

Just giving some pointers for further investigation.

Back