Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:51 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:46 pm 
Retro Guru

I always wondered what a klein built steel bike might look like, it might have been the the 2 wheeled wet dream to unite the whole world. It still cracks me up that folk can be so animated in their love/hate of a particular brand of bicycle. Personally my toenails curl when I see one of those Whyte praying mantis looking bike things but if I were in a beautiful place riding one I would be just as happy as if I were sat on my own dreamy bike. I had a special moment about 10 years ago when I rented a 40lb dutch bike with no gears, 1 brake and bendy handlebars that sat adjacent to my hips. It looked like the biggest pile of shit that i'd ever clapped eyes on but I proceeded to have a couple of the most enjoyable days of my life ambling up and down the dutch coastal paths at about 5 mph. It reminded me that these machines are quite magical no matter how much they cost or what they look like. I funded my little holiday by selling my colnago mapei replica road bike that was truly a thing of beauty, I felt like a twat when I threw my leg over it as it was far too glam for my scruffy slow self. Trading it for a few days riding on a rusty beater was one of the smartest moves I ever made and made me view cycles and cycling in a very different way (a few nights on the razzle at the paradiso with the money I had left improved the good feeling even more).
Nonetheless I love my Klein, especially as it has no paint and nobody seems to have the faintest idea what it is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 am 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike

sinnerman wrote:

Rubbish You are not that OLD.

You're too kind!

I'm now so old that my bikes have gone full circle and look new. Went out for a ride on the Bow-ti the other day and all the kids were in awe at the 'new' bike, had countless ask me whether it was a 2014 ibis model....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:33 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

pete_mcc wrote:
sinnerman wrote:

Rubbish You are not that OLD.

You're too kind!

I'm now so old that my bikes have gone full circle and look new. Went out for a ride on the Bow-ti the other day and all the kids were in awe at the 'new' bike, had countless ask me whether it was a 2014 ibis model....

Bizarrely I got that recently with my rts???