1991 Raleigh Discovery

Tink

Retro Newbie
Stumbled upon this site whilst looking for an original spec for my Raleigh Discovery . Still looking

I got a Raleigh Discovery in 91 after having my car stolen and used it for several years. My son is now at Uni so I decided to drag the bike out and give it a new lease of life and get him some transport for uni.

The bike itself was in pretty good condition as I tend to look after my things and it was perfectly usable apart from having no chain !!

I have stripped the whole bike down to the frame and the frame has be resprayed a very white white and the bars/stem sprayed black

I have retained the biopace GS 200 front/rear dérailleur but replaced the bottom bracket with new shimano bottom bracket and put on a new shimano narrow chain.

Original seat stem has been retained and have replaced the seat with a Specialized Targa seat
Original Rigida 26" rims have been retained, new rim tape, tubes and now shod with Schwalbe Land Cruiser 1.9/2.0 tyres
On the handlebars I have put on Specialized BG Targa grips with bar ends.

Have done away with the original brake levers and gear shifters and updated with Shimano index system ST-EF51 which combines brakes and rapid fire shifters with Shimano cables throughout

I have done away with the original cantilever brakes and replaced with Tektro V brakes

Think thats about it for the moment. Bike is pretty much finished apart from setting up the front and rear dérailleurs

The Tektro brakes I took of my 2012 Specialized Sirrus comp and replaced those with Avid Single 7 digit and the Targa seat was also off that bike.

Once finished I will put a couple of pics up if anyone is interested quite pleased with how its turned out, may put some retrobike stickers on it too ;)

Still have the original brake levers, gear shifters & canti brakes if anyone is interested in them

Sorry about that fella, folks maybe are not in a Raleigh frame of mind at the moment, many Raleighs are viewed as bread and butter bikes and dont always float various members boat.

Got any pictures of the bike?

Personally never heard of the Raleigh Discovery but they did have a vast number of models. Always looking to be informed ;)

The Raleigh Discovery was my first MTB back in 89/90. Reynolds 501 tubing and white with a silver back and black decals that said "Discovery". I was very very happy with that bike and made quite some miles on it, as it was also my "go to school" bike (about 15 miles daily). It was 200GS equipped and mine had thumb shifters, later ones came with STI units. I can still remember that the first time I took it into the woods I fell head over and bent the front rim beyond repair... Man did I get it when I arrived home :oops: Had to pay for my own rim from my allowance (so in the end it was still my parents who'd paid the rim haha).

But yeah, common bread and butter bike but it started all my MTBing from then. Moved up to a Stumpjumper FS about 3 years later.

Back