RST Mozo Pro W front shocks.........help!

1997BlackC5

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a set of the above shocks on a bike I picked up yesterday, I think they look the biz & from what I can gather, back in the day they weren't a bad shock. However............

The above two pictures show you what they look like....

The problem is there is no rebound at all, this is a picture of what they should look like.......

But this is a picture of how they actually sit......

As you can see there is no resistance in the legs of the shock to make them work at all.

Is this an easy fix? Could someone tell me if they are air compressed? Elastomer? Or Sprung?

Does anyone know someone who could refurbish these for me (I live in the South East London area)? As I would love to keep them on the bike. I know absolutely nothing about these shocks the insides etc, but I do like them so any help / advice would be much appreciated.

PS. adjusting the hard/soft at the tops of the forks makes absolutely no difference.

I believe that they were elastomer just like the rest of the RST range at that time, so you probably have a very gooey mess sitting in there waiting for you, but the good news is if they are elastomers the ones from even the cheap RST shocks should fit for replacement purposes ;)

I really rate these forks, especially at the prices you can pick them up for!

They are really easy to work on...

http://www.rst-europe.com/manuals/M-D-P1.HTM

...you'll probably find you have no MCU's in there at all (they usually go rock hard rather than anything so the fork wouldn't compress much?) or if the dampers are shot all your need is some new rubber o-rings and you'll be good to go :cool:

What Post Code are you in? I could do them for you if you really have no aptitude for that sort of thing?

We_are_Stevo":2rb2vq5b said:
I really rate these forks, especially at the prices you can pick them up for!

They are really easy to work on...

http://www.rst-europe.com/manuals/M-D-P1.HTM

...you'll probably find you have no MCU's in there at all (they usually go rock hard rather than anything so the fork wouldn't compress much?) or if the dampers are shot all your need is some new rubber o-rings and you'll be good to go :cool:

What Post Code are you in? I could do them for you if you really have no aptitude for that sort of thing?

What are 'MCU's'? These forks compress but there is absolutly no rebound, so they stay compressed. From your response it soulds like it might be just the rubber o-rings. Are these easy to come by?

Thanks for the response though I maybe taking you up on your kind offer.... I live very close the the Dartford Bridge on the M25 for refference.

MCU's are a more modern version of elastomers, the spongey inserts in the top of the fork that actually provides the suspension. If the fork compresses but just stays there it's possible that someone has taken them out with a view to replacing them or, more likely, they have gone stiff with age and need replacing.

If you look at the photo's of the air dampers in the manual in the link I posted you'll see what they look like; mine just needed cleaning and regreasing rather that replacing and work just fine.

I have enough spare MCU's to refurb your fork if it is necessary; I would recommend you try taking it apart yourself first. You'd be surprised how easy they are to work on... :cool:

Finally got around to taking a look inside these shocks.......

Anybody got any ideas on how I can rescue these? I don't even know where you would go to try & get replacement elastomers / MCU's from? Even if I managed to get new MCU's, how do you get them on as the rod running through the middle of them seems to be fitted pretty securely into the top.

Re: thread resurrection

I still have these RST Mozo Pro forks & would still like to get them re elastomered (sprung/ fixed etc) any ideas on how I go about it please?

You slide them off in "down" direction, buy new elastomeres (or some Spring that has roughly the right length and diameter instead). Silde the new ones on the rod, smear with grease (at the time one was called "Judy butter", nit sure what is used nowadays), fit into the fork and thats it.

That little black part at the End of the rods has to come off.

Re:

If you can't find NOS elastomers/MCU's on ebay, go to Boots or a hardware shop and buy some of the rubber bungs used in 'home brew...'

They have a hole right through them and work a treat!

Back