Removing bushes from a rear shock and spring weight info

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
EDIT
I've now sorted the bush removal and fitted the coupe deluxe. It came with a 700 marked spring but the shock I took off had a 750 spring. What would be best for a 12.5 stone bloke? I'm hoping 700 is ok otherwise I will have to take it all apart again :facepalm:

----------

My sts build is complete, though I've been after upgrading the rear shock. I've got a fox that needs modding (new trunnion) and a nos coupe deluxe, but in order to fit the coupe, I need to take the lower bushing out so that I can take off the adjuster and screw it through the trunnion.

I obviously don't want to damage the shock so a hammer is out of the question, so how can I remove the bushings/axle part without the use of a hammer?

While I'm at it, does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get a trunnion made for the fox shock?

I have worked out that I can mod the existing one by shaving some metal off, then using v bosses to make the trunnion fit into the travel chips, but I'd have to also mod the travel chips to take a larger diameter bolt and I'm not sure I want to go down that road unless I have to.

Cheers

Re: Removing bushes from a rear shock (STS content)

The bushes can be pressed out using cheap tools on ebay, I've got this one: item 111167545861. It works a treat. Can't post a link but item is called removal & installation of Fox shock bush tool.

SP

You can still get new travel chips so modding them isn't that big a deal

cce":34t0fchg said:
You can still get new travel chips so modding them isn't that big a deal
It's not the modding that worries me, there just won't be much meat left on them if I enlarge the bolt holes, unless consensus is that's not a big deal?

if it's a major concern, I've seen travel chips remade in brass before

Bushings off and new shock fitted, now I'm after some info on which spring weight would be best suited for a 12.5 stone me.

Manual says they are set up from the factory for a 140-180lb rider on mixed terrain

Back