Quill to threadless stem adapter

JEK

Retro Newbie
I just bought an 18" 1996 Kona Lava Dome which came with a 125mm stem. Its waaaaay too long for me and I would like to put a shorter stem on (100mm), only I'm having trouble finding one. I came across quill to threadless stem adapters and wondered whether or not they are safe for riding off road? If they are it would be useful because it looks like it might take me a while to find a suitable quill stem.

I used one before, no problems at all.

Bike had a 1" threaded/quill stem setup, but it allowed me to fit a 1"1/8th size "Ahead"/threadless style stem, which was much easier to find in the right length and rise for me.

Only thing is some of the purists might not approve of the conversion, but it's YOUR bike ;)

I think the adapter I used was made by Pzzaz or something similar, from eBay.

jimo746":r7c8nzxz said:
I used one before, no problems at all.

Bike had a 1" threaded/quill stem setup, but it allowed me to fit a 1"1/8th size "Ahead"/threadless style stem, which was much easier to find in the right length and rise for me.

Only thing is some of the purists might not approve of the conversion, but it's YOUR bike ;)

^^^ This ^^^

I have them on a couple of bikes, no problems, just make sure everything is done up tight in the usual way.

I have one I no longer use if you're interested. Has sleeves at both ends so will cover all sizes.

Thanks chaps. I'm going to be using the bike a lot so comfort and control are a priority so I shall purchase one and put some riser bars on too.

The History Man":3tnh36gs said:
I have one I no longer use if you're interested. Has sleeves at both ends so will cover all sizes.
JEK":3tnh36gs said:
Thanks chaps. I'm going to be using the bike a lot so comfort and control are a priority so I shall purchase one and put some riser bars on too.

yes, no, maybe? Can send a pic? Cheap as chips, good as gold,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/System-EX-Qui ... 5d38d3e704

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you screw the ahead stem into the adapter than you will get a solid piece like a conventional quill stem. So there will be no problem with this setup.

The History Man":331haicc said:
The History Man":331haicc said:
JEK":331haicc said:

yes, no, maybe? Can send a pic? Cheap as chips, good as gold,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/System-EX-Qui ... 5d38d3e704

Sorry, I must have been writing my post as you posted yours. I ordered one just after, thanks for the offer.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back