Deciphering Klein S/N

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hey guys,

So, some recent discussion has prompted me to once and for all decipher the Klein S/N code for early Attitudes and Adroits. We all know that in 93 it became pretty straight forward, but the earlier ones are cryptic at best. This topic has been touched on several times and even people who were there and did the work can't exactly remember.

I think I understand it, but need some more data points.

So, if you have an Attitude or Adroit in original condition (repaints lose a lot of info) that you think was made between 1990 and 1993 please post or send me a pm with the following info:

Picture of said bike
Frame S/N (under BB or rear dropout)
Fork S/N (on back of dropout)

Names and location of bikes will no go into my database and I promise to share any findings I come up with.

I don't really want to get into Rascals, Pinnacles, Pulses, Mountain Kleins and all that. Just MC1 Attitudes and Adroits for now.

Thanks,

Ok, I'll bite. These are the two that go from memory that were bought from the shop, so I'm certain of their origins. I don't have fork numbers handy, but I'll get them eventually, but here is what is in me noggin.

1990 20": BAT487
1991 19": A3F2

The 1990 was allegedly one of the earlier bikes. It was ordered quite early and it had a problem with the headtube being "slightly overbored" (Klein's words) and the fork wasn't staying tight and the bearings rotated some in the receptacle. They said some of the early ones had a problem but they fixed it up for the later bikes. That's what they said but it's uncertain exactly what "early" means. Dem's da facts, do with them what you may.

Thanks.

Fork data and some details of each frame would be interesting.

So, I'm guessing the BAT 90 didn't have the offset downtube cable inlets?? The number indicates it was the 1159th Attitude built in 1990, so for me that puts it right in the middle of that year judging by the total number I'm estimating for 1990.

The 1991 appears to be #1010 build in 1991 and would put it slightly earlier in the year. I'm estimating that the Axxx series went all the way up to the high 3700s before they switched to ATTxxxxxx (under BB) serialization in late 1991 / early 1992 and ultimately the T_MM_YY_xxxx serialization for 93.

So, in theory 1990 saw around 2300 Attitudes made, while 1991/1992 saw production numbers around 2000-2500 each year. I think 1993 saw smaller production numbers, closer to 1200-1500 as they transitioned to MC2 style frames. The earliest MC2 I have is from July 1993, so they were already trying to transition mid way through 1992. We know that there were some late 1993 and even early 1994 MC1 Attitudes that left the factory, but I'd place those numbers in the 500s max.

The earliest confirmed Attitude I've recorded is #31.

So, all said and done I estimate between 8000 - 9300 MC1 Attitudes made during the production run. The combination of the highest fork numbers adds up to 8300 (5A, A0 and A series) so that seems to support the low end of this estimate.

I'm still working on the Adroit numbers, but I think they didn't come on the market until mid to late 1991 with around 250-300 made that year, then in 1992 I think the numbers were closer to 400-500 and maybe 400-500 made in 1993.

So, all said and done I estimate between 1050-1300 MC1 Adroits made during the production run. The highest Strata number I've seen is #1071 (debossed MG) so those predictions seem to make some sense.

The earliest confirmed Adroit I've recored is #29

That's all I've got so far.

Thank you to those who have helped and provided numbers thus far. Keep 'em coming so I can refine my model.

goss1002.jpg

Circle k -19TO993079

A2117

I'm not quite sure where I'm following how you know it's the 1010th or 1159th build.

YOu say they switched ATTxxxxxxx in late 91/early 92. There is a 19" backfire Attitude, SN: A73C, fork #A1527. This person contends it's a 92. I believe this person as they used to work for Klein and is generally pretty knowledgeable. Now the other reason it's likely to be a 92 is that it has the 107mm BB spindle. That is the width that was used by XTR cranks. The ones made for the earlier XT cranks had a 122mm spindle. So, it's reasonable to assume that A73C is a 92.

Hold on, you're thinking in hex. Now 487 in hexadecimal (base 16 and the way computer programmers often use numbers) is 1159. If that is a mid-run number, it does contradict when Klein said it was an earlier one. Lots of assumptions here. Any reason to think that Klein was using hex? It doesn't seem likely to someone who isn't a programmer.

Oh for cripes sakes Hollister, you still haven't gotten that built up. I gave you those syncros crank bolts figuring that you'd use them. Come on, finish it!

It's an old pic! Cranks are on it now
----------------------------

I wait for carsten to come over and he puts his ear to the down tube and presto! All the info is revealed

Bingo.

73C is is 1852 so that puts it high up on the 91 roster, which means it's close to the transitional period. So, I'd say it depends on the decal placement, etc. That fork number is A1527 which makes sense.

91 and 92 Attitudes were basically identical. So, it's ok that those lines are blurred. Also, we all know that even though M900 was a 1992 grouppo, info have come out in late 1991 and Klein would have had a heads up on the BB spindles.

Also, Klein had been making bikes for a long time now and probably had to cross the 999 threshold and so Gary being an MIT would have most likely thought of HEX. Doesn't it seem likely???

pinguwin":9clk3cwl said:
YOu say they switched ATTxxxxxxx in late 91/early 92.

No, ATT would have been the first 1992 production numbers. As in numbers used for 1992 model year Kleins.

BTW Holli your bike is #79 MC1 Attitude build for the 1994 model year.

20" 1990 Team Attitude BAT4F8 FORKS: 5A5A8
22" 1992 Klein Attitude (Blue), came with rock shox A173

ez054098":es33o93o said:
20" 1990 Team Attitude BAT4F8 FORKS: 5A5A8
22" 1992 Klein Attitude (Blue), came with rock shox A173

Got any pics???

The XL 1992 seems more like a 1991, #371

Back