Best place to get wheels built up?

unclebuck

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all.... Who do people on here recommend - both on quality and price - for getting a wheel built up if I supply the hub and the rim?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

My LBS is good, Bicycle World in Ringwood. Rob there built up a singlespeed wheel with reverse dish for me.

I build my own if I'm going for those dreadful modern disc brake thingies, that way perfectly true is not needed :LOL:
Infact I'm measuring old spokes (new spokes are obviously the best idea but cash is scarce), cutting to length, rethreading (I have a spoke threader, wonderful tool) and lacing up a front disc wheel this week. Rim brake wheel requires more patience but if methodically done gives good results and a feeling of great satisfaction. :D
Give it a go, its fun and another string to the bow ;)

Another vote for a DIY build. Nothing beats riding your own wheels and it means you can always fix them if needed too.

The problem for me is the time it would take to learn a new skill - and likely quality of the outcome :LOL: Plus they are not 'standard' hubs so I have no idea how I would gauge what spoke lengths I would need etc.

Most important - I don't currently have any workshop facilities either.

Having said that I will look into it further - but in the meantime if anyone knows a good wheel builder please let me know. It would be the quickest most practical option for me at the present time

Cheers

Rob

I've been steered to rob at bad ass bikes in Bristol to build my tioga disk drive up. Apparently he's done a fair few of these and to me that's a recommendation and a half cos they are laborious to build. I await the result but worth giving him a call I think.

if you measure spoke length from the centre of the hub to rim, or on a new build....half the inside diameter of the rim...you should be in the right ball park for a 3 cross +/-a couple of mm. yes, old spokes are well handy!

Back