need some info regarding Nuke Proof hubs

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
I've heard that Nuke Proof carbon hubs are prone to cracking. Think the particulars are it's the allow flanges cupping the carbon shell. Is this correct and does it hold true for the Nuke Proof ti hubs, as i believe they are the same construction aside from the substitution of the carbon with ti?

My carbon/allow front hub broke at the outer flange. Looking at the construction it's no wonder, there must be less than 1mm of material between the inside bearing bore and the spoke flanges.

Rear hub suffered a crack on the inside, allow sleeve cracked outward to the spoke flange.

I can post pics if anybody is interested.

Possibly, though I rode and raced mine for almost 20 years before they failed.

I will snap some pics

Pic now attached which shows the break pretty good I think.

Not much support material on these bearing flanges. Frustrating because it would have been very easy to taper the aluminum starting from the spoke holes down toward the outside ends. This would have increase the thickness in that area dramatically.

Attachments

• NukeFront.jpg
    NukeFront.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,616
Had so many problems with the rear hub when they were new - the bearings used to collapse without much effort, and then eventually this:

Attachments

• Nukeproof Rear Hub.jpg
    Nukeproof Rear Hub.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,587
I raced and used mine for a good number of years with no issues, though looking at those photos above, I must have been one of the lucky ones :D

Rich

No, no, no. Don't show me all this now, I've just finally sorted a rear Nukeproof carbon hub to match the front I have.

ouch! those are not pretty to look at! i've seen first hand hairline cracks forming from the spoke holes on carbon versions. but does anyone know if the ti versions have the same construction with identical week flanges???

i'm specifically looking at the Nuke Proof Ti wheelset but this is seriously putting me off in committing to getting them. :(

My guess is that the Ti shell version might be a little stouter, probably would have a better bond between the shell and spoke flanges. The carbon is rough and might not have as much surface contact which might flex and crack the flanges eventually? Just a guess.

Unlike Jonboy I didn't have any problems with my rear, freewheel still spins nice.

I would run them if they look sound.

Back