Nice v brake lever options?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've just bought a set of nos avid ultimate v brakes and can't find matching levers that I can afford, so wondering what other levers (in black) that peoe would recommend?

I'm trying to avoid xtr m950 as I have these on a couple of builds and want something different. I've got some machine tech zero flex, but not black sadly, some Paul's on another build (which are nice), so what else is out there at non bank balance busting prices?

I know they aren't retro, but the latest Aest levers look nice, but are they any good?

As disk brakes are now the standard, I'm finding options a bit limited so hoping the rb sages can steer me in the right direction.

Cheers

If you can find some, Cane Creek levers that match the Direct Curve brakes.

I recently fitted some to one of my daughters bikes, and that are good quality and a really nice design.

I wouldn't mind a pair myself for the Dekerf.

I've used plastic fantastic Sram 9.0's for years and love 'em.

al. :D

They aren't cheap, but I'm guessing so weren't your Avid Ultimate V's. :? There's been a slew of Altek levers on ebay the past few weeks. I have a set mated to Avid Arch Supreme and I like them.

Alteks sound interesting, though wouldn't you know it, nothing on eBay right now.

Xt levers are an option, I actually think I may have a set kicking about. Have these changed much since xtr m950? My xtr m970 levers look the same in all but colour, and the xt ones look very similar.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
btw, the black set has been relisted twice already. perhaps you can contact the seller and see if he's willing to ship abroad.

M770 are nice and simple looking with a bit of weight weenie milling. It doesn't have the hinged clamp of newer levers 780's, but they are quite ugly things anyway.

It is a slightly nicer looking M737
(google image BL-M770 and BL-M737)

They work better than my Avid SD 2.0L's (and similar SD's I have) which always seem to have sloppy levers and the adjuster is only fixed in one position unlike the Shimano fast cable pull to high power/better modulation (for me) switch over.

Take the stupid power neutering wedges out and use them properly and they are excellent levers, comfy on the hands too.
The cable adjuster can easily be moved while riding allowing fine tuning if you want to.

I have no idea of the other brakes mentioned so cannot compare to them.

of course this is all 'in my opinion, your fingers, prefered ease of pulling a lever and styling wanted may vary'

Back