Are these 1996 Indy SL's? Plus other questions!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Can't find a definitive answer from the cats, the canti hanger surely gives it away?

Also, what does SL stand for, Super Light or Super Long, they seem to be long travel for the year? With the adjusters backed right off, you get a bit of travel then it really firms up and there's maybe 40 or 50mm of actual usable travel....a mate suggested they may have been tinkered with internally, but I don't really want to start pulling them apart. What I'm worried about is, if they aren't standard travel, as in, someone has lengthened them, there would be a lot of flexing or pressure on the stantions?

As you can probably tell, haven't actually had them on a bike yet!

Attachments

• GT plus various 012.JPG
    GT plus various 012.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 502
Indy's didn't start til 1997, so they're not 1996. they should be 63 or 80mm or travel, what's the A2C?

the SL was for superlight - they should come in just under 3lb. the 80mm versions usually had a long travel decal, thus

P1020017.jpg

Just a bit thrown by the canti hanger on the brace!

Axle to crown is 425mm, and amount of stantion showing is just over 100mm/4"??

That's right, 1997 model, should have the typeII setup which is spring/MCU.
It came in both hanger and hangerless versions.

I took the adjuster off the other day as it was seized, to start with the black threaded bung it sits on was undoing too, at that point I did find a spring inside but delved no further, so spring and mcu would make sense, I may spanner them further tomorrow!

Is there an equation or some such that says how much stantion is showing in relation to travel, ie - if I've got 100mm of stantion, does that mean 100mm of travel in theory?? Probably a really really daft question but I've always wondered if it was that straight forward.... (I appreciate these should only be 63mm, hence the question, has someone tinkered?)

there *is* an approximate relationship between a2c length and travel

420ish =60mm ish
440ish =80mm ish

and so on

Aha! Interesting...

Thanks for all your help guys, I think I'll stop worrying about it and fit them to my '97 Zobop, they'll be perfect period fitment for that, thanks again :cool:

The only thing to worry about is if the MCU is good.
Then if the spring/mcu and spring rate adjuster (the plastic bit between them) are correct for you weight /riding style.
If you're average and they're default then all is good.

Archive does have '98 INDY and there isn't a lot between them apart from '97 uses the Type-II setup which there is also the info in the archive.

Back