A Complaint!

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Here is my (tounge firmly in cheek) letter to USE. Those at the Cannock meet will remember the painful episode that led to this email.

Dear Sir,

Please could somebody explain the point of the Alien clamp? In all my years of mountain biking, (I started in 1986), one of the components I never had to worry about was the seatpost. I still have the original XTII (Kalloy?) Prestiege one on my oldest bike. It has outlasted a number of saddles with nothing more complicated than firmly tightening the single 5mm bolt once, when fitting a new saddle.

In my humble opinion the only time a component should change is when an improvement occurs. The Alien clamp is a pointless and dangerous leap backwards.

From three easy to assemble parts you now have five. One 5mm bolt has become two 2.5mm ones. 2.5mm? Whose idea was that? Whoever it was should be beaten firmly about his person with his product by at least ten irate bikers until he promises to retire and have nothing whatsoever to do with designing bike components ever again.

The last few rides I have been on have all been ruined by the clamp slipping and the nose of the saddle sticking up into the air at an angle of around 45 degrees. If the damned thing had stuck up any more I would have had to lube it! It is impossible to repair the thing on the trail as nobody this side of the Atlantic has a 2.5mm (or I'm guessing the Imperial equivilant) Allen key with them.

I am off now to try to find the five crappy components from where they were hurled up the garden when the stupid 2.5mm bolts slipped again and I took all the skin off my nuckles again!! Once found I will no dout fail again to do them tight or evenly enough and on the next ride I will once again end up with at least four inches of Selle Italia's finest thrust where it shouldn't be!

Again my question is why?

Sorry if it was you that designed it. Actually, no I'm not.

ha ha thats great well timed too i had a nos alein post i used for one ride on the lightening it did exactly the same thing i took it off on my return and threw it in the bin id normally have sent it back to use but they would have sent me another!

billinjah":3e0uj437 said:
ha ha thats great well timed too i had a nos alein post i used for one ride on the lightening it did exactly the same thing i took it off on my return and threw it in the bin id normally have sent it back to use but they would have sent me another!

Good to know its not just me! I think I may get a Thudbuster and try the USE on one of my road bikes.

cherrybomb":1ps35ube said:
Very funny (but painful). :D

What EXACTLY was wrong with the original USE design anywy? :?

it uses the smallest allen bolts in the exsistence of man to hold it all together they are totally incapable of getting enough pressure on the rails its a really bad design and pretty damn dangerous!

One of my more worrying moments on a bike involved one of these clamps. Out riding on Cleeve hill and one of the bolts sheared when I misjudged a 'lump' in the ground and put a bit too much pressure on the saddle. Luckily the other bolt managed to tip the saddle nose up rather than let it go altogether so I slipped off the back of the saddle rather than have the post shoot up my... well, you know what could have happened. Switched to Syncros posts pretty soon after that.

It is a stupid design thats prone to failiure but they are light and look pretty.

I reckon there's enough material around the screw positions to allow drilling oversize, tapping M4 x .75mm and using M4 machine screws instead.
At the first hint of trouble from mine thats what I'll be doing anyway...

Back