Anyone know what this Sunn Trail/MTB is please?

kiwifraser

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all.

I'm new to the MTB forum on this site, but following on from this thread (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=271138) I think this is the best place for my question...

I'm struggling to find anything on the web about this Sunn. I gather it was a French company that used to make some good bikes, but are fairly much unknown in the UK now. Anyone know anything about them?

The frame appears smallish (I'm 5'11), but that could be as I'm used to looking at road bikes. With the seat up to the limit line on the post, it rides well, is nice and light, and has road suitable tyres on it. My plan at the moment is to use it as a winter bike/ family ride bike.

ETA: My MiL just told me it was bought new 10-12 years ago from Armstrong Bike Dock in Belfast. He spent many months looking for what he considered the best lightweight high quality steel frame bike. That was all she knew about it.

20130926_184033_zpsa2bc8e3a.jpg

20130926_184105_zpsebe0e054.jpg

20130926_184059_zps055aae1a.jpg

20130926_184046_zpsf75c4dd8.jpg

20130926_184039_zpsb181f823.jpg

Brilliant thank you. I wouldn't have found that, as it's obviously a lot older than I was guessing. Any ideas if it is/ was a decent bike?

I love it how there bike 'beards/ anoraks' on here who have a mind full of information and history covering decades of cycling :cool:

This is the catalogue page.
e3a097ad-644c-45a4-9d50-3a4e42da42b1_zps8ec47440.jpg

From the pic it looks like it is the 999 Trail as per the decals and components matching the listed specs.

The only differences are the frame colour, which could have been an option?, and the front forks are rigid and match the frame colour, instead of the Obsys Elasto suspension fork pictured in the catalogue.

Re:

Despite adorning my bike shed for a while looking good, the reality is that it has only been ridden a couple of times in the last 2 years.
Is it something that would be on interest in here, or better put on ebay/ gumtree.

Since these pics, it's been given a good clean and polish and had SPD convertible pedals put on it. Only ever been used on the road, and has road tyres on it. Great condition, rides lovely, but a bit too small for me at 5'11.

Re:

If you're in Belfast, get it on Ebay as you'll get a fairer price and there's a couple of well-dodgy types preying on Gumtree at the min, had to warm one of their jaws for them a few weeks ago myself....careful now!

Re:

Thank you. I'm in Glasgow, but could deliver to the north of England as I'm heading to Leeds and Manchester next week. Ebay is probably the best shout.

I like Sunns, they are well made decent bikes. Valued most by the French. That one looks much too small for me

Re:

Any interest in this here? I'd rather it went to a retro enthusiast, and open to offers.

Having a shed clear out to make way for other bikes!

Back