Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:57 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:01 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

I've been entertained by the recent posts re an old timer's ugly bar builds.

So here's a thread to show off your old man set ups with pride: come on gents, raise those bars! you've got nothing to loose but your wrist pain and dignity.

(Also feel free to post any pics of bikes where the seat is a good 6 inches above the bars: we can point and laugh in a supersize superskinny way.)

I'll get the ball rolling with my jalopy:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:08 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

I will play. Pushing 50 in a few weeks and not ready to stop yet, so certainly spend a lot of time on my fully rigid vintage bikes. Sometimes I want to go a different direction and just take it easy. I could see how the late 80's early 90's bikes with their steep angles and flat bars aren't to conductive if one had a sore neck or back.

Friendly angles, riser bars, big tires, granny gear, not too heavy, I use this when I feel old and want a little cush:

And if I feel like maintaining my vintage pride but still seek a little modern love, I take out this little jewel:

Keeping things era correct and vintage, believe it or not, this bike is very comfy for all day adventures also:

There you go: Comfy Turner, A WTB Phoenix with modern suspension, brakes, and a riser bar, and a dirt drop Ritchey which was my go to most comfortable bike while my neck recovered from a recent injury.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:29 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

Nice one. It's a good reminder that the drop bar/ LD setup offers old men high bar, multiple position comfort; and also shows that something that could be dismissed as kinda funny looking becomes cool through being effective.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:30 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Here's my grandad bike :D , nearing 30, beautiful light steering, great traction and ground clearance, easy on the back, high enough to need a mounting block, though:

All the best,