Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:14 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 1996 Marin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:35 am 
Dirt Disciple

I recently salvaged a 1995 (I think) Marin Bobcat trail which I'm planning on converting to single speed and running as a Winter hack. I currently have everything bar the headset stripped from the frame.
Attachment:
20130920_115447 (900x675).jpg
20130920_115447 (900x675).jpg [ 430.46 KiB | Viewed 239 times ]

I'm considering having the frame powder coated but am unsure as to whether it's worth it or not. The reason for my doubt is that the Bobcat was pretty much the base model. I would like to know if the same frame was used further up the line with better components or whether I'd be better off sourcing a higher end frame? I'd like to stick with steel though.

I also need a minimum of rear wheel, bottom bracket, brake levers and pads, single speed kit, chain and cables. Of course these are all thing I can swop onto another build if/ when one comes up.

Cheers

Last edited by Pdid on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1995 Marin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

It looks like a 1996 I think. The Catalogues in the Archive & Gallery are your friend here. Looking at them, it appears it was probably the same frame as the Muirwoods, but not anything higher, made of 'Marin Custom Butted Chromoly' with 'Investment Cast Dropouts'.

With regards to whether it's worth it, and also given the current finish looks in good condition, then generally if you were spending the money to powdercoat a frame it would be better to look for one from higher in the range - you can probably pick one up for less than the price of the powdercoating. However, it does depend how much you like the ride of the frame. The most expensive powdercoating job I got done was on my 1991 Karakoram Elite, which is a good frame, but not particularly light and only middle of the frame. I just like the way it rides though, and unfortunately the paint job was beyond saving.

Post subject: Re: 1995 Marin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:14 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks for that and you're right on the age. I hadn't looked at the 96 catalogue and was pleased to find it's in English.

Re the frame, I would say its in ok condition, it's lived outside for the past year and has a few scuffs and rust spots. I think I'll get it built up and see how we go.

Thanks