Is it insane to put cyclocross cantis on a retro mtb?

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Is it insane to put cyclocross cantis on a retro mtb? I've been planning to go back to cantis on my 96 retro bike, and have been looking on ebay etc. at what cantis are available, and some cyclocross cantis caught my attention. They have that high profile, retro look, and some of them look pretty cool. I was wondering, has anyone here ever tried CX cantis on their MTB? Will they even be possible to fit? I guess that when it comes to high vs low profile canti, high profiles give more stopping power, right?

no not at all, they are designed to give good mud clearance and they work well - I've used a few sets of Froglegg on builds. Rears can catch heels but thats about it.

I have CX cantis on my Kuwahara, the only issue you might have is heel clearance and maybe rear straddle set up, CX ones like a big wide straddle (oooer missus).

Cantilevers will fit and work great, however cable stops are required for frames made for V brakes. More importantly you will require cantilever brake specific levers as cable pull is different. Look at photo's of canto bikes to see what cable routing difference is.
Cheers

Thanks guys. The frame in question was from slightly before the era of v brakes. Its unused cable stops are less then pleasing to the eye.

I remember reading an article BITD on David Baker's Raleigh team bike. He had some old Skool cantis on with the M900 group to save weight.......

Back