I need sugestions

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I was on my Marin today and I decided I need a new frame as the top tube is really to short. It is a 1989 Marin palisades 18.5" C-T frame I forget the TT length.

What I need is ideas from steel frame suitable for a 6ft1" gent with 35" inside leg and has an effective top tube of about 58 cm. I do tend to find most frames listed on ebay are a bit sparse on dimesnions and I have often found I have no confidence in the replies I get back. Inproper measurement by the seller of the Marin is how I ended up with this.

I do not want anything widely expensive but a good light steel frame from the late 80's or 1990 would be good as I have a alot of M730 kit to transfer to it.

I keep on thinking about Oranage P7's or clockworks. Kona's spring to mind. It does not have to steel either. A Trek carbon/alu frame would be perfect and I would sell a kidney for one.

Ideas please.

I remember Diamondbacks feeling quite long back in the day. I had a Kona and one my mates had a Diamondback and I hated it when we swapped bikes mid ride as the Kona just felt so much more compact.

Any model suggestions. I'll need some convincing/inspiration regarding Diamond back as in my head they are not too special. However I have not had the right inspiration probably.

Hi there ,
How about a Scott ? I'm 6'3" and have a steel framed one with a 56cm seat tube c-t and 59cm top tube c-c . Unfortunately , not sure how it rides yet as I'm still building it :facepalm: :LOL:

Mike

Attachments

• Scott tr2.jpg
    Scott tr2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 514
Marin measure Centre to Centre so that frame is 17/17.5"

Kona are one of the longer frames, Rocky Similar depending on model. These measure (CTT)
Orange are short frame for the size (CTT)

It could be you just need to get a 20" Kona frame and try that, 19" at a push.

Saying that you Effective top tube is very short!

20" Kona will be 24", 19" will be 23.5" (effective, at least from 1993 onwards)

A 19" Orange Alu-O has an 22.5" effective top tube

Pleased to be of service Sir ! I had a Kona Kilauea BITD and found it too laid back for me , even with a long stem and saddle a fair way forward . But that's only one mans' opinion .
Mike :cool:

My Orange Evo2 19" has an effective top tube of 23" and that feel perfect with a 120mm stem. So a frame with a similar size is what I am looking for. 20" Kona's could be it. I have found nothing so far on ebay tonight though.

I understood that Marins got longer in the TT on the models above the palisades but I would be interested to know for sure :D

I have a 17.5" c to c bear valley - I will messure the TT so we can compare :D

WD :D

WD Pro":sshunk4u said:
I understood that Marins got longer in the TT on the models above the palisades but I would be interested to know for sure :D

I have a 17.5" c to c bear valley - I will messure the TT so we can compare :D

WD :D

That wouldn't surprise me. One of the reasons I got rid of my '89 Rockhopper Comp and bought a Team Marin back in the day was due to the Specialized being too short. The Marin felt more stretched out.

Back