What brakes for '91 Klein Attitude?

Miles

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,

I have a 91 Klein attitude which I have just had the original forks and mission control handlebar fitted to but it has Deore LX canti brakes which I would like to change to something a liitle better.

Was thinking of something boring like XTR V Vrakes especially as I'd like to get some 8 speed shifters anyway socould just get the STI.

Does this sound like a good compromise or should I get something a little more in keeping with the bike?

Are those Onza HO canti brakes any good? There seem to be a few around - anyone had any experience?

Cheers,

Miles

P.S - Kase1983 - you expressed an interest in the Judy SLs that came with this bike - do you still want some?

V brakes wont be in keeping with the date .

Onza dont brake

Campagnolo would be best to look like Tinker juarez . :cool:

Original 90's Dia compe is in keeping with the times but again brake as if poo smeared round the rim !! They did come in nice anodised colours though! Personally I reckon a set of trick Pauls Components always go down a treat!! Same V brake power but with class and style!!

Depends on how much riding you plan on doing with the bike. V brakes may not be right for the age of the frame, but would release more potential from it

Original spec in '91 was DX/XT/Campag Centaur or Dia Compe 986 cantis. I've got Onza HO's on my Orange - they work great if set up fine (much like any canti) but pale against V's or discs of course.

cchris2lou":2jem7bgh said:
Campagnolo would be best to look like Tinker juarez

Definately.. Buy an Etto and get some seroius 'Fro action on the go too.. :p

Thanks for the advice guys...
I intend to use it quite a bit so think V's will be the way to go. One thing I am wondering about though: behind the seatpost on the frame the cable goes round in a metal tube bit (not very clear I know!) - will there be enough clearance after this for the V brake's metal curve bit?

Cheers,

Miles

P.S just proof read this and don't think it makes much sense - apologies if noone knows what the hell I'm talking about!

Hello Miles..

I have the same issue with my 93 Attitude with V brakes ! ! All I have found you can do is to bypass the little cable doo hicky built into the frame and have a small piece of outer cable housing, bout seven inches long, coming straight from the top tube where the cable comes from, then directly to the noodle of the v brakes !!

Ive tried alternatives with the frame brake hanger !! Only way to use that is not to have v brakes !! Onza Ho'sis a nice looking alternative !!

Del

Miles":2wxua3gh said:
Thanks for the advice guys...
I intend to use it quite a bit so think V's will be the way to go. One thing I am wondering about though: behind the seatpost on the frame the cable goes round in a metal tube bit (not very clear I know!) - will there be enough clearance after this for the V brake's metal curve bit?

Cheers,

Miles

P.S just proof read this and don't think it makes much sense - apologies if noone knows what the hell I'm talking about!

that tube style cable guide means you have an XS (18") frame. there's not enough space to use that tube as housing stop with v-brakes. i'd suggest to use vs on the front and cantis on the rear. can only pose a problem if you use combined brake/shift levers.
the easiest way to run vs on the rear is drilling the cable outlet hole and route the cable housing to the inlet. or drill inlet and outlet and route the housing from the lever to the brakes. take the thinnest cable housing you can find to keep the drilling ot a minimum. i would ALWAYS use cantis instead drilling a frame as i think they work more than well enough on the rear but if you are not that puristic...

a less nice solution would be to route the housing outside of the top tube and zip-tie it to it. or using such an adapter but on the XS frames space is really limited

235128Rascal_detail.jpg

Carsten

Back