Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:50 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Bike Pile find
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 pm 
Retro Guru

Driving over to a friends house today I passed a house with a huge pile of bikes in the back yard and a sign out front saying "Bike Sale Today!". Being a total bike geek I just had to stop and take a look around.

The pile was quite impressive in size but not in quality. Most were just garbage, just bottom end big-box junk. Then near the bottom I spotted some bullmoose bars with thumb shifters on a ratty looking red bike. Looking closer I saw that they were Suntour Mountech with matching front and rear derailleurs. I've been looking for some Suntour bits to complete my Bianchi Volpe build so I offered up $10 and he took it.

Dug the bike out from the pile and snapped some pics. Looks like a 1985 Rockhopper to me, terrible state though. The bars look pretty cool and parts are looking salvageable.

Attachments:
RH1.jpg
RH1.jpg [ 341.12 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]
RH2.jpg
RH2.jpg [ 74.33 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]
RH4.jpg
RH4.jpg [ 98.22 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]

Last edited by Mr.Toad on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dog Pile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice find!

Btw maybe change or add to the subject line - I didn't know WHAT I was gonna find ;-)

Post subject: Re: Bike Pile find
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Changed the topic name.....I thought it was kind of funny.

My old band had a song called Dogpile which referred to team sports and how moments of excitement can lead to the players jumping into a pile, Dogpile. Of course i'm aware of the other meaning...which is equally unpleasant.

Anyway back to the bike. I'm not really sure what to do with it right now. Although the paint is scratched there are no dents or damage to the frame and the seat tube is free of rust. The fork has one brake post that has broken off, otherwise it's a solid bike, though a bit small for me, 18".

At first I thought about pulling the parts and tossing the frame but I can't help but think a 85 RH has potential to be a really cool bike.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:51 pm 
Retro Guru

Was funny, just u didn't get as many replies (so probably views) as I thought u deserved! I was thinking along the lines of 'dog pile - 80s spesh content' :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:59 pm 
Retro Guru

That might have been more appropriate Jay....

Would anybody know what rims and hubs this bike would have been spec'd with? Did Suntour make Mountech hubs?

I can't help but think it might be work going back and looking for the wheels to make the bike complete, well besides the seat post and seat.

Thanks!

Edit, just found the info. Shimano brakes, Specialized low flange hubs with Saturne rims.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:34 pm 
Retro Guru

Spent a few minutes on the '85 last night and cleaned off the custom pin striping, which might have been nail polish. The red is really nice color and in decent shape, other than the top tube of course.

Cool frame. Full length housing for the rear brake and above the bb cables for the rear mech's. Interesting proportions with the long chainstays and short top tube. ....anyway might mothball this one for now.

Attachments:
s.jpg
s.jpg [ 84.64 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]