Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:27 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:39 pm 
Retro Guru

I've got Avalon thermo plastic bars on my American :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:58 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

I one race recently the of the vets (Paul Ashby) had a racing incident and his carbon bars snapped, he carried on holding the right part of the bar normally and the left hand on the stem practically. The left shifter dangled I presumed he used that. I think he won the vets, broken bars did not seem to slow him down. Every material has it's down sides, ali fatigues eventually, carbon can suffer from repeated impacts and if the protective coatings are removed or damaged exposure to UV or salt water will degrade the resins, Ti can fail suddenly if there are impurities present in the extrusion, steel is just heavy. So use whatever you want one is not better than the other just different and all have there place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:04 pm 
Retro Guru

So what do we think of these then? They came (not original according to catalogue spec) on a very light 93 KHS Montana pro and are lightly scored around the stem as can be seen in the pics. Judging from the sound they make when tapped they feel pretty lightweight too.

I'm sure the only sensible answer is to replace them (doesn't mean I will!) but if anyone has any more specific thoughts...?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:35 pm 
Old School Grand Master

That scoring to the left of the second picture looks like someone's notched it ready to snap. Personally. That'd be going in the bin.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:52 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

It looks to have been done intentionally, but as above I would bin it if the line is deep.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:28 pm 
Geoff Capes

Lets myther over the scenarios: Keep it fitted. Possibility of needing major facial reconstructive surgery when it snaps without warning on a downhill stretch - Likely - or: Remove it and lob it in the bin. Smile as you remain on track and not looking like you tried to eat your bike and lots of dirt.- Likely and in your control.

Looks like someone has ran a pipe cutter around that :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

saulus wrote:

Looks like someone has ran a pipe cutter around that :shock:

Agreed
Consigned lots of very nice parts to the bin as theyre just totally past it.
No use getting all starry eyed, things just dont last forever, and tbh were never intended to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Not an handlebar issue I know, but years ago, I had a Gary Fisher aluminium handlebar stem suddenly break, without any warning whatsoever :shock: On reflection, I got off lightly, I was just cruising along on the road at 15ish MPH. However, 5 minutes before the stem decided to try and terminate me, I was hammering down a steep hill at closer to 30+ MPH.

I remember the event vividly, I experienced this brief microsecond of disbelief whilst holding the handlebars, realising they were not attached to the bike anymore, knowing that in the next second or two I would be in a whole world of pain :shock:

Fortunately, I only succumbed to a few scratches and bruises :) the most painful part of the whole episode was ripping my new Buffalo cycling windshirt :(