cos one GT Zaskar isnt enough ;)

LangersGT

Dirt Disciple
Hi all

new to the forum need some help and advise, really started to get back into cycling love cycling to work and with the kids at weekends at the mo i have an old GT all terra outpost which was brought of my dad as ive had to bike seen the age when a car came along!!!!
Neighbour has a GT zaskar and having a look on here i think ive fallen in love with them, but i know nothing about them i was brought up on raliegh's ie Bmx Burners, then a raliegh Massif, but i seem to be drawn to the GT Zaskar LE whats the differents between the zaskar and the Zaskar LE, whats the best year to get?? are parts easy to get for em?? is there better alternatives?? and where's the best place to start set the search for one seen a couple on ebay etc, what the right price to pay for one

any help in the right direction i would be most gratful

regards

Langers :cool:

Re: Hi newbie

Hiya, welcome to the forum :D

I don't think there is a difference between the Zaskar and Zaskar LE frames - I think the LE just came as a frame only.

Regarding the alternatives, I honestly don't think there's a single bike out there which is as versatile as a Zaskar. And as far as building one goes, you can't go far wrong. Just have a search on the forum for other Zaskars and get some inspiration!

There are loads of Zaskar owners on here, so whatever questions you might have, I'm sure they can be answered :)

Hi Langers,

First of all welcome to the forum, it's always nice to see newbies burning with questions joining this wonderful site :)!

I won't be able to answer all your questions, but there are many GT experts/lovers around here, so that shouldn't be a problem. Moreover, many of your questions come down to personal preference, for example with regard to what's the best year, if it is difficult to source parts (that depends on what parts you're looking for; the original spec for a certain year, for example?) and whether there are better alternatives (although I'm not quite sure what you mean by that: parts-wise or bike-wise?).

Anyway, what I do know is that I'll probably have a Zaskar frame (see my signature) that I'd be willing to part with. I'm looking to get back what I paid for it, but that can be discussed off-line, in a PM.

Hope this helps! Cheers,

E

LangersGT":10iwr7t6 said:
seem to be drawn to the GT Zaskar LE whats the differents between the zaskar and the Zaskar LE?
There may be a difference between them later in the production run, but for the most part, the frames are the same, just the LE had slightly better components

whats the best year to get??
Utterly subjective, but its generally accepted that the earlier pre '98/99 ones, made in the USA ones are better (flat end cap, 6061 aluminium

are parts easy to get for em??
Compnents wise, generally yes.... always lots for sale here and on ebay, very little if anything was "unique" to a Zaskar

is there better alternatives??
depends on what you term as "better"

what the right price to pay for one
I have no idea, but do a search of the sales on here to get an idea

G

ah guy thats brillant thank you :D whats a good frame size to go for im 6'1

Its defo a Zaskar Le i want is there any catalog's kicking about?

Hi there I'm about the same height as yourself and I prefer a 20", then again I'm not a extreme rider, more trails with my young son. I have an 18" as well but I find it way too small for me. Best thing would be to try and try again untill you find the right one for you. I must admit there is a massive difference between the two sizes though, I don't know if they do a 19", here's some pictures of mine.

Attachments

• retrobike1 035.JPG
    retrobike1 035.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 937
  • retrobike1 038.JPG
    retrobike1 038.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 937

OOOOOOOOfffffffff lovely mate yep i look at them and thinking the just look awesome where do you measure the frame from and to as my GT has no frame size :cry:

thanks for the info mate

so were did the Zaskar sit in the GT range in the 90's i have an Outpost, but there are RTS, GT Karakoram, arrowhead etc would be interested to know :cool:

From what I remember, the Zaskar was pretty much top dog in the hardtail line up (apart from the titanium Xizang and Lightning). If your thinking of getting one I'd buy one already built, much cheaper but maybe not as satisfying. My polished one was a complete bike I refurbed, much easier than getting each individual part. I think you measure from the centre of the bottom bracket to the centre of the cross bar. Zaskars have the size stamped on one of the rear chanstays, makes it a bit easier.

Attachments

• zaskar 026.JPG
    zaskar 026.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 921
  • zaskar 040.JPG
    zaskar 040.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 921
  • zaskar 037.JPG
    zaskar 037.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 921
  • zaskar2 001.JPG
    zaskar2 001.JPG