Internal Cabling Help ... Saracen Trekker

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello,

Need to change the cable outers on an internally top tube routed Saracen trekker.

Does anyone know if it has guides to make it easier, and if not, any tips? LBS said to tape the new one to the old so when it gets pulled out it will act as a guide but that seems a strange method to me!

Thanks all

Pic of what I mean:

full2.jpg

The easiest way would be to cut the nipple off the lever end, that way you can pull the outer off both the front and rear and refit as needed. The outer could run through the full length of the tube, in which case, just pull the outer from the rear of the bike, through the frame and fit a new one in reverse.

My STS has internal routing and does not use full length outers, so I have no choice but to snip the cables. From here though I use a length of cable sheath (plastic piping just wider than the cable) and run this through the frame, and then with this done you can remove the snipped cable. From here, starting from the front you can run your new cable through the new outer for the front cable run, run this through the sheath, and one you have your cable through the frame, remove the sheath and fit the rear outer.

Simples (though I may have described it badly).

Ah yes, should have thought of that. I'm really quite stupid at times.

*Engage brain before typing*

Thank you chap.

Its guided right through on mine. just pull the old one out and the new one will go right through no bother.
Lovely bike by the way.
steve

SaracenSteve":2wsf636j said:
Its guided right through on mine. just pull the old one out and the new one will go right through no bother.
Lovely bike by the way.
steve

Thanks Steve.

It is a lovely bike, I just need to sort a few issues on it to make it last another 20 years.

Standard has been set really high on here though, but as long as I'm happy with it afterwards that's all that counts.

Off to see if you have a build thread of yours, if not, I will pester you for one!

My 91 Sahara had the same feature and as stated above it pushed right through as it seems there are little ramps/guides or summat inside to ease installation.

However, the method your LBS mentioned worked for me on a Raleigh recently - just use something really sticky like gaffa tape!

:D

Back