Starter tool kit?

MonkeyPuzzle

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I'll be shortly embarking on my first bit of tinkering and will be changing, in no particular order, shifters and brake levers, rear cassette and mech, possibly brakes (cantis), going to a single front chain ring w/ bashguard and removing front mech, changing stem (if I can source an original), and tyres.

What tools I should look to buy and are there any good kits that would cover all or most of these eventualities?

Thanks in advance.

Set of metric allen keys
freehub lockring tool and adjustable wrench
chain wrench (aka chain whip)
crank puller
crank socket if not allen

A set of metric wrenches would not be misplaced.

The freehub tool, chin whip and crank puller are bike specific tools, the rest can be found at any hardware store. IIRC, crank bolts are 8mm allen, or 14mm bolt, depending.... A wrench won't work on most crank bolts, a socket is required due to their being recessed.

That'd do all the work you've listed above. Can't help on sourcing them, bought all mine eons ago at my LBS.

J

Personally I wouldn't bother with a kit - just buy the exact tools you want, when you want them :D

Buy the best quality you can afford at the time you buy.

Look after them and they will last you a lifetime :D

If you buy a generic kit, you will either buy poor quality or spend a good chunk of money - either way, you will probably end up with a selection of tools you won't need immediately or may never even use ...

WD :D

I've bought quite a few Ice Toolz tools in my time, and have found them to be good quality for the price - kind of 'enthusiast amateur' level I would say, which is the right compromise for me. Park etc are better (pro mechanic level), but are obviously more expensive too.

One other tip if you have a Machine Mart nearby. This allen key set is far better than the £6 price tag would suggest:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... ex-key-set

Regards

EDIT: I agree with what WD Pro said about avoiding kits, as you will just be buying a load of kit which you probably won't need.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think that's a pretty good practical kit to get you going at once with the bike specific tools for the money. Have used Ice Toolz myself and have not been disappointed; they do the job. Another basic tool is a good pair of cable cutters (or bolt cutters) for brake and gear cables. Seems to be missing a Torx driver (for disk rotors typically). Oh....and finally the most obvious tool after the beer and lump hammer is a decent track pump.

Cheers, Woz. I'll be messing with cantis or v-brakes initially, so the torx driver shouldn't immediately be an issue, but a pump is not something that had even entered my head, which was generally filled with "Mmmmm, shiny things..."

Latest posts

Back