Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks ,
Just seen an SBIKE DAYTONA on ebay , I kind of like its' funky , different looks . Has anyone out there owned one/ridden one/know anything about them ? Thanks ,
Mike :?

Yeah, I know a thing or two about Daytonas. Excellent bikes ... as long as they last.

Radical geometry, low center of gravity, definitely not a beginner's bike. It's nervous and twitchy, but oh so rewarding when you learn how to use that to your advantage.

Unfortunately there's the "as long as they last" part too. The e-stay design puts a lot of stress on those small tubes on every bump and pedal stroke ... and square aluminium tubes aren't exactly fatigue-proof to begin with.
Basically the rear end is a combination of bad design and very bad material choice. They crack like crazy and there's no point in repairing them once they do.
If you buy one, the first place to inspect is the bottom of the right-hand chainstay, right behind the light bend. You'll want to inspect it on a very regular basis.

Don't let that put you off, they are a hoot to ride and attract attention like only very few bikes can. Just don't wait another 10 years to get one because by then they'll be close to extinction.

IMO the CroMoly Sbikes are the sensible choice (if not the better one). Same geometry as the Daytonas, but a bit more compliant due to the more flexible nature of steel. Sure, you can break those on jumps too, but at least metal fatigue isn't a problem.

Great fast bikes to ride :cool:
Been riding mine for 20 years and its still in one piece :D
The suspension bikes are prone to snapping but the daytona as far as I have seen are fine but maybe luck the Alu forks are defo prone to braking especially on Jumps a mate of mine in the 90s got through 2 pairs :facepalm:

Back