Karakoram Seatpost Clamp

dhotwagner

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I snapped my seatpost clamp and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the correct size. My bike is a GT Karakoram, but I don't know exactly what year it is; maybe early to late 90s. It's black and purple has the groove tube for the cables. The seatpost is 26.4mm. The Clamp has the last number scratched off. It says 30._. I need help with that last number. I THINK it's 30.8, but there aren't a lot of options out there for that size. From what I can see (a little of the top part of the scratched off number), it's one of these possiblities: 30.0, 30.2, 30.3, 30.6, 30.8, or 30.9. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Seems strange. Assuming the seat clamp is 30.0mm, that's 3.6mm difference against your 26.4mm seat post. That would suggest a seat tube wall thickness at the clamp of 1.8mm, and I can't see how this could be.
I have a 1993 Karakoram "groove tuber" with an inner seatpost inner diameter of 26.8mm and and use a 29.6 seat clamp.
One good way to determine your seatpost diameter is to measure accurately (I've read elsewhere on this site that a peice of paper wrapped around the tube and accuratley cut and marked works well) its circumference then divide by Pi.

Figured out that I probably don't actually need the clamp, but just the handle for QR...which is a 6 x 60mm if anyone is wondering...Thanks for the help though!

Dave

Back