Tyre Shaving Help

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
Good evening.

What is the best way to trim or shave the lugs on a tyre please?

I have some side lugs that need trimming back to give clearance on a seat stay.

Many thanks.

I will watch this post with interest! Shaving Tyres sounds like a really bad death metal band. My guess would be to blow the said tyre up really hard then somehow move it in to one of those ham slicing machines that they used to have in butchers shops.

Vice - assistant to crank wheel top ring - angle grinder - goggles - steady hand - 2-3 revolutions.

Cutting tires is simple. Cut grooves in slicks all the time for supermoto. Always use a dedicated electric tire cutter, but the principle to take a few side knobs off a MTB tire is the same. Very sharp, very hot blade.

If you haven't got a hot knife, use a sharp serrated blade. Much easier and safer than a plain blade on rubber.

Stanley knife
Remember to cut TOWARDS yourself as this allows you the best control. Dont rush and dont use too much force. A sharp new blade which probably costs thruppence is a must and even consider swopping it (after turning it) for a new sharp blade after say doing 1/2 a tyre :?

When im cutting some veneers ,especially the bloody expensive stuff i will change the scalpel blade every 4 or 5 cuts.

Thanks for the advice. Stanley I have, but a hot knife sounds like a good idea. I will see if I can DIY one.

Latest posts

Back