Advice please re refinishing a Rock Shox Mag21 SL Ti fork.

RFC

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 92 Litespeed Ocoee with a Rock Shox Mag21 SL Ti fork. As you can see, the finish almost has a tarnished look to it.

What would you use to try to brighten it up a bit?

Thanks,

Re: Advice please re refinishing a Rock Shox Mag21 SL Ti for

I had the exact same dilemma a few months ago:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=261019&start=30

The Magnesium alloy tarnishes under the (Clear, but tinted) powdercoat. I couldn't find a match, so went for a custom colour.

In the end, I stripped the legs of powdercoat (Wurth Gasket remover) polished, painted with lacquer, and couldn't get the finish I wanted, so stripped them again, roughed them up, etch primed, dusted with 4 coats of colour, followed by several coats of lacquer, followed by polish.

HTH.

As noted above, these forks were known to tarnish. I had a brand new one on a Zaskar LE that did that in under six months. Shop owner sent it back for a replacement and I still have that same fork without tarnish. They must have changed a preservation process from lot to lot.

Thanks all. This bike apparently set out in the desert sun for years, so I'm thinking that the powercoat, as plastic, has pretty well burned off. I'll experiment a little and see what I can do. Start gently, i.e., Brasso, and then perhaps escalate.

Pls keep us posted and good luck with the project.

Latest posts

Back