Brake boss flex..Your thoughts please.

saulus

GT Fan
Feedback
View
How do,
I'm running XTR M95* V brakes and a shimano carbon fibre brake booster on a Klein Pulse frame and during a few tricks and trials I immediately noticed that they aren't biting enough for that kind of fun. On closer inspection, the flex in the seatstays is plain to see.

Here's the set up:

Obviously,making it more 'powerful' will only make the situation worse but has anyone got any suggestions to make the brakes hold better?? Apart from welding a plate across the stays :)

Different brake pad compounds?
Any ideas to confirm or add to this?

Cheers

Is there room for two boosters, above and below the brakes?
Try Swissstop pads. They're pricey but blimmin good!

You can get stay braces but they tend to be bike specific. I have a ti frame that you can see flex when you really pull on the brakes, but this is off the bike and in reality shouldn't be a situation I find myself in.

On my Torus you can see the stays moving apart a few mm. It uses XTR M95x brakes too with no booster, I'm happy with it and the brakes are really good!

I employed a triangular fixing point system.
To explain-
I was using a hope is caliper mount(u know like the axle mounted Hope No2) and as the frame was Ti and the seatstays thing i put on a normal brake booster on firts to help spread the load across the 2 bosses not just the one. I think i was using an odyssey booster and noticed the slot in the center of the top more or less lined up with the mudguard mounting hole on the seatstay bridge. Easiest thing there was to use very thick alloy washers/spacers to fill out the gap behind the booster (start with the shaped spacers normally seen on bikes, i think u also know what i mean,)and bolt it one there too effectively giving a three point system of support

Not sure i still have a pic of this but i think i posted it up at some time on here :? will take a look . Do you understand what i mean ?

Yes I take the point, it should be sufficient for riding (and it is) The flex I am experiencing is in situations where I need the wheel to hold 'dead on' where I want it such as hopping up or across ledges; that's the plan with this bike- It's ace for that type of thing apart from this braking issue. If I can minimise this flaw further I have a very agile bike in my fleet :)

suburbanreuben":375zrqos said:
Is there room for two boosters, above and below the brakes?
Try Swissstop pads. They're pricey but blimmin good!

Yes. I have another booster, with more washers with it to create a gap to get past the pad adjusting nut, I could fit it on. This would be the quick option to try. Nice one.

The Swisstops are likely on my shopping list. Going to do sort the pads out for definite- can only help for sure

ishaw":375zrqos said:
You can get stay braces but they tend to be bike specific. I have a ti frame that you can see flex when you really pull on the brakes, but this is off the bike and in reality shouldn't be a situation I find myself in.

Had a quick google search and can't see what I THINK you mean :) Are these 'bolt on' or require fabrication of some sort? Do you have a link or thread you can throw at me?

dyna-ti":375zrqos said:
I employed a triangular fixing point system.
To explain-
I was using a hope is caliper mount(u know like the axle mounted Hope No2) and as the frame was Ti and the seatstays thing i put on a normal brake booster on firts to help spread the load across the 2 bosses not just the one. I think i was using an odyssey booster and noticed the slot in the center of the top more or less lined up with the mudguard mounting hole on the seatstay bridge. Easiest thing there was to use very thick alloy washers/spacers to fill out the gap behind the booster (start with the shaped spacers normally seen on bikes, i think u also know what i mean,)and bolt it one there too effectively giving a three point system of support

Not sure i still have a pic of this but i think i posted it up at some time on here :? will take a look . Do you understand what i mean ?

Kinda :facepalm: (technically clueless about the Hope bit)...You're on about this mounting bracket :

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=253565

being used with an Odyssey B booster (I have a very similar one in my spares box) I just need you to clarify slightly by telling me which holes on the caliper mount ;)
This is option 2 to try if 'suburbanruebens' idea doesn't work :cool:

Cheers for all the input gents.

I prefer an aluminium booster. Had some carbon ones in the past and IMO those allow too much flex.
My Scott wears a Tektro T9 booster on either end, but not too sure if your Klein can get away with that. It is mid-00's after all. Perhaps the polished alu version would work, but certainly not the black one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the flex to be honest.fter all, if your pads have the friction coefficient of Supermarket "cheddar" style cheese they are never going to stop you no matter how hard you squeeze the lever.

Your picture is not working for me..

But if you switch to an Odessey U4 booster, you may be able to bolt the top into the stay bridge. Stopping it from splaying forwards/backwards.

Or switch to Magura HS and the EvoII setup.

I would have thought the extra linkage on the m95x xtr would cause rocking when locked anyway.

Back