1994 Univega Alpine 5.3

thecallup

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,
As a first post, here's a catch I got of the internet this week for a small amount: a '94 Univega Alpina 5.3. I have always loved steel frames with nice geometries so I had been looking for mid 90's Kona and Univega stuff for a while.

Stripped the bike yesterday with the following result:
Frame_zps58d34ecf.jpg

Small disappointment was to find out that the headtube is only 1". Since the bike came with suspension forks and a-head set, I assumed the headtube was 1 1/8". This means I can't install my Rock Shox Mag 10's. The forks that came on the bike are a pair of Rodem's, apparently pre-Rond.
VorkI_zps7d5b1823.jpg

Bike was finished off with full STX except for the hubs. I have a set of '95 Deore XT derailleurs and am thinking of getting a new set of wheels with 8 speed hubs and cassette.
I'm very much inspired by this thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=163090
Maybe I can do something similar with the Tan Tioga Psycho's. Not sure if I should look out for a rigid fork and make a retro fan happy with the Rodem or just keep the forks.
Also, if anyone can help me with the original catalog or components list I would be very happy!

Hello and welcome.

I'm really quite surprised that it has a one inch headset with it being a 1994 frame. My 1993 Univega is 1.1/8th".
That said there were a few manufacturers who stuck with 1" headsets well into the nineties.

Those Rodem forks look interesting. Not something I'm familiar with.

In terms of catalogues, there aren't really any catalogues in the Retrobike archive, however Univega are listed on Bikepedia:--> http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... iNnptLryiA

Looks to be a spec listed for the 5.3 too.

Vulture alert!!!
I'd be interested in the forks if you decide to sell them ;)

Nice. An Alpina was my first 'proper' MTB (although maybe I shouldn't discount the Emelle Cougar so quickly) and I've often missed the steel frame and rigid forks.

Any advice as to where I could get a pair of rigid 1" forks (threadless) would be appreciated!
Originals will probably be impossible to come by. Wonder what color would work for this bike. :-/

They're great bikes. I rocked the Brighton Big Dog on my 1994 Alpine 5.4 last year and loved it! It is very similar to yours but with blue instead of red decals and came with the STX SE groupset. I'm afraid I've modernised it with abandon though for commuting. Mine also has threadless 1" forks, with a steerer extender which gives me the fear somewhat, it's been fine so far tho.

You'll probably have more options looking for a threaded fork, you'll have to replace the headset too tho of course.

Good luck with the build!

Welcome along!....
A 1" crown/steerer replacement shouldn't be too hard to locate if you should wish......

Thanks for all your input blokes. I'm currently riding a Kona (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=298400) and now finally have some time to built up this Univega. I did trace down a complete mid 90's Deore XT derailleur/shifter set and also tanned Tioga Psychos so I'm anxious to see what it is going to look like!

Back