Marin Bear Valley dating help

Korszun

Devout Dirtbag
Hello all.

Just purchased this for the wife, originally thought it was a '91 because of the dark zolatone. Now I'm not so sure because it doesn't seem to have the oversize seat stays or 1 1/8" headtube.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1137944991

I don't really mind which is except the '90 frames had 1" JIS headtube and fork which are a pain to find and I reckon it's gonna need replacing!

Cheers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yeah - 1990 :D

What's up with the forks ?

I struggled to find the correct fork (with correct drop out) but loads of other options if your not botherd about sticking to origional :D

Frame is probably a 15.5 c to c if it has a u brake ?

WD :D

Sorry, the forks? They're not original.... Oh god...

Ok, so what do I do? And what about headset? Butcher a JIS and ISO together?

WD can you provide wisdom?

So long as you stick with the same make / model of headset I should imagine he crown race would be identical other than the bore to suit the seat.

If you want to stick original, I 'might' be able to help. The forks of my 17.5" got the top of the thread damaged :-( I threaded it further and then chopped the bad part off. If yours is a 15.5" as I suspect, they might just fit ? I was hanging onto them but I don't really have a use for them. They are in new black (real nice quality) powder coat but they will have a few marks. Some from the the plank that damaged the thread and (probably) some others from storage.

I figured if I used them for a anything else I would get them coated again but they are probably good enough to use immediately.

Some photos on my BV thread :D

So, just been having a look at the forks on this bike. Either I don't know what I'm looking for or they are the original forks.

Size and tube looks correct and from the right period, they have spinner embossed into the dropouts just like on your BV forks WD. What makes you think they're not original or otherwise ok to use?

Cheers

I didn't think they weren't ?

I thought you thought there was something up with them and wanted to replace them ?

Aah, sorry. It was the headset I was earmarking for replacement, not the fork. Can you give me a seatpost size reference?

So I've had a good look at everything now and it's in a sorry state. I am a big believer in maintaining original finishes where possible but this one is probably too far gone, there are a couple of large patches missing completely and significant rust which will need to be stopped. The mrs likes the idea of being able to choose the colour (I know, but non original finish may as well be any colour) and it will be fun to take a build that extra step. So I'm thinking media blast and
Powder coat for the frame, fork, stem and bars. Can anyone recommend somewhere???

Front mech, crank arms and brakes look serviceable and I have a set of wheels which will go perfect.

So I guess shopping list of used parts will be: shifters, brake levers, chainrings (or complete chainset if I can find cheaper), rear mech, seatpost and qr, JIS 1" threaded headset (NOS or new or good
Cond, whatever I can find). The rest I'll get new.

Back