Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:16 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Having done 10 miles off road today on the GT with a Bonty razor blade for a saddle, I'm in desperate need for something more comfy but still very retro....any ideas??

(I should add I'm a laydee. Allegedly.)

Attachments:
Retro's big day out 011.JPG
Retro's big day out 011.JPG [ 235.59 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:25 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

If it's only about 10 miles you do then you can go for the wider saddles, they'll be comfy for shorter distances but start to be a pain for longer ones.
Of course that's for men, I assume the same for Women.

elpedro's prettier half tried a few saddles from memory or at least I bought one she didn't like for my wife.
It's not retro though.
I think it's going to be trial and error. Even for men it's such a personal thing.
All bums are different.

Some men love the Charge spoon, not just because it's quite light, retro looks but it's relatively sheap.
This is the Womens version http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-ladies-ladle-saddle/

Not read this, just a random google search (I will do as my wife's complaining about the WTB SheSpeed at the moment)
http://totalwomenscycling.com/bikes-gea ... addle-901/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:28 pm 
Retro Guru

A San Marco Regal is a classy, comfy retro saddle. Pros still use them today, I think. I have a couple and the comfort is very welcome after a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:33 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Just skimmed through that. Most helpful bit is probably. That's already on my todo list, but since I've been riding her bike I've not bothered just yet.
“Most importantly the position of the saddle can be the difference between a comfy and uncomfy saddle. I find most women’s boyfriends, male SOs or hubbies angle their saddles like they would their own with the nose slightly up or flat. A slight tweak of the nose downwards can solve most problems, and adjusting fore and aft helps too. I can ride pretty much any saddle by tweaking adjustment/position.”

Though that is quite true of mens saddles as well. A Flite can be uncomfy until you find it's angle for you. Even a small tweak.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:35 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Hmmmm...liking the white and pink Charge one, which is sad...very sad....

I should add, I haven't been out on a bike in anger for years, I spend too much time building, not riding, and bearing in mind I used to happily ride Flites all the time, I think some 'hardening' needs to take place again! Anything would be uncomfortable at the mo in fairness. Reading that article Fluffy Chicken I wonder about where I have the rails clamped too, perhaps should try moving backwards/forwards by degrees....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:39 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Time to get the paddle out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Rich34 wrote:
A San Marco Regal is a classy, comfy retro saddle. Pros still use them today, I think. I have a couple and the comfort is very welcome after a couple of hours.

I agree, if comfort is more important than weight then the Regal is definately worth a look...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:24 pm 
Retro Guru

A lady turbo or an avocet air 40 w are worth a look, both very good long lasting saddles.....If you can track them down

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Neither of these are retro, but I've found both to be very good. I've got a Madison Breeze on my C16r which is essentially the same as the Charge Ladle. I'm soon to have one of these going spare if you want to borrow/buy it as I'm going to upgrade to a Fizik Vitesse. I ride one of these on my P7 and it is sooooo comfy. There is a black one on eBay which has some slight scuffs on it was £20 and a pink one for £40. I'm tempted by both for different bikes, but if you get there first then it's a great saddle.
I've got a Selle Italia saddle too which I never quite get set up right. I can't remember the name of it, but I got it for about £20. I just refer to it as 'The Lady Slice' because it had a gap in it!
As has been said, it's about the set up as much as anything, but the Vitesse gets my vote. I rode on a Charge Spoon once and regret it for days, but my friend (female) finds them comfy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:48 am 
Retro Guru

Have you tried a leather saddle? I've got leather saddles on two of my bikes and I really like them, heavy, but very comfortable once broken in and definitely retro. :D

I have a Spa Cycles Aire on one bike and a Brooks on another: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s204p0