Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:15 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 18 years ago today JMC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 pm 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

we lost JMC :cry:

he was one of the riders and personalities that inspired me to ride harder and with a little style ......well i try lol. his bikes, style and enthusiasm to overcome lots of issues still echoes when i ride and reflect on my riding past. sounds soppy i know but hey, most of us are here for similar reasons, we are still chasing what we have already found :wink: and feel when we ride.

i only met jason a few times as a junior but watched him race quite a bit and still enjoy watching old vids etc of him shredding

whats your memories, if any (please dont turn this into a slagging match etc :evil: ) of jason et al

ride free :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:41 pm 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider

Im still promising myself that ill get the tattoo done but i havent a clue where to get it done round here lol

Never met the guy but he was a legend, made even more so after reading the story of the hardship and illness that he battled through to be where he was, even watching 'Dirt' now makes me want to go out and wheelie and skid everywhere and just generally mess about on a bike and ride!

I didnt even know that they never traced the driver of the wagon that killed him, somewhere out there someone knows who it was, i hope karma finds them eventually!

R.I.P. JMC!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:49 pm 
Retro Guru

I got the tattoo but slightly customised to my taste.In c 1993 I was bored of xc and started riding for fun with a few other misfits,all long hair,baggy shorts,bmx flats,metal and hardcore soundtrack and crashes.We had a blast,JMC was our spiritual leader,still is.Im in the west of Ireland,I`d say its the same in Belgium,France,Germany etc.Some legacy......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:42 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Watched Dirt until the tape wore out. Never had the skills to replicate any of it though...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:56 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

In '91 I took my bike to Dorset in order to null the crushing boredom of a family holiday.....I met some local lads and spent 7 days spanking around the coastal paths around Weymouth. It was the nearest I ever got to the spirit of the dirt video, a real laugh and a great memory!.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:58 pm 
Retro Guru

RIP indeed.

I wonder if Sophie Brookes still looks hot?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 am 

minor_LEGEND wrote:
RIP indeed.

I wonder if Sophie Brookes still looks hot?

she still looks well on facebook :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:25 pm 

Crappy pic but its a bit faded by now anyway.

I was never one for hero worship as a child, football wasnt my bag, but there was something about Jason. Attitude and style at a guess looking back. I saw him race, I'm glad of that.

I read about his accident in the newspaper in what must have been the following few days. I was 17 and we were on a MTBing/surfing holiday as a family in Devon. I was that upset we came home. Packed the caravan and left that morning.

I hope that Jasons family are proud and take some comfort in the fact that 18 years on Jason is still remembered and missed by folks who didnt actually know him but were inspired by him.

Ride Free indeed