chrome-based decals

Raging_Bulls

Sbike Fan
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I recently acquired a couple of new Altus A-10 mechs. These have a decal that's basically black and (either transparent or chrome) green printed on a chrome background and then covered with a rather thick (1mm-ish) layer of soft transparent plastic. The plastic however seems to have deteriorated, turning into a shapeless goo that sticks onto everything it touches. The plastic bags that contain the mechs, the paper towel which I tried to clean it with, etc. It's like double-sided tape really.

I tried to remove said goo from one of the mechs, and ended up damaging the decal itself and having to take it off. That mech is now just for temporary use until I restore the Sbike, so not the end of the world really. However I don't want to lose the decals on both mechs because the other one is intended to go on after the restoration.

Anyone knows where I can get such chrome-base decals made or how I can get this mess off without damaging the (fragile) decal underneath?
I read elsewhere that Gil doesn't do them, but didn't seem to find anyone that does.

EDIT : This thread is worthless without pics

altusdecalissue.jpg

For the record, both mechs came from different sources. Different countries even. One was truly NOS (in original sealed bag), one from a stockpile of unused mechs without packaging.

If you give me a photograph, I can see if my friend at work who did my gold (chrome/foil... dont bother looking at the JPS Kilauea thread for images, I havent updated it since i moved the pictures on photobucket) waterslide decals can reproduce them... I will try and get some images uploaded tonight

G

Looking at that, it'll probaly be easier to leave the "chrome" writing blank, and print the black / green. How shiny is the surface below the sticker?

Not shiny at all, I'm afraid. Here's the other one after I removed the completely ruined decal. It's a satin grey finish really.

altusdecalissue2.jpg

Simple Job apparently... If we can get a better quality image of the original, he can redraw it and print it as a nice thin waterslide decal that will be easily lacquered over with standard acryllic clear coat.... you have a PM

G

Unfortunately that photo is as good as it gets. I tried taking one of the other decal (where I managed to get most of the mess off), but that just doesn't work out.

I can however send the decal itself over. The postage cost won't kill me.

Replied to your PM.

Gil_m can do a light foil badge too if you ask. His pace head badge is done that way. It's much lighter material than the original but looks the same unless you press your nose against it.

Quite easy to do but you will never match the brightness of the Green without screen printing them onto the foil as the originals would have been done and that's just not viable for small numbers

I have attached a picture of some Orange tubing foils I have done recently, the lower two are originals and the upper block of 4 are reproductions, they are more than expectable when seen independently but you can see the transparency of the colour on the foil when compared to the original screen printed or foil blocked versions

Would imagine you will end up paying somebody more for the artwork to be re-draw then the mech cost...

Attachments

• DSC00264.JPG
    DSC00264.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 372
Back