Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:34 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: chrome-based decals
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:24 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I recently acquired a couple of new Altus A-10 mechs. These have a decal that's basically black and (either transparent or chrome) green printed on a chrome background and then covered with a rather thick (1mm-ish) layer of soft transparent plastic. The plastic however seems to have deteriorated, turning into a shapeless goo that sticks onto everything it touches. The plastic bags that contain the mechs, the paper towel which I tried to clean it with, etc. It's like double-sided tape really.

I tried to remove said goo from one of the mechs, and ended up damaging the decal itself and having to take it off. That mech is now just for temporary use until I restore the Sbike, so not the end of the world really. However I don't want to lose the decals on both mechs because the other one is intended to go on after the restoration.

Anyone knows where I can get such chrome-base decals made or how I can get this mess off without damaging the (fragile) decal underneath?
I read elsewhere that Gil doesn't do them, but didn't seem to find anyone that does.

EDIT : This thread is worthless without pics

For the record, both mechs came from different sources. Different countries even. One was truly NOS (in original sealed bag), one from a stockpile of unused mechs without packaging.

Last edited by Raging_Bulls on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: chrome-based decals
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:40 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

If you give me a photograph, I can see if my friend at work who did my gold (chrome/foil... dont bother looking at the JPS Kilauea thread for images, I havent updated it since i moved the pictures on photobucket) waterslide decals can reproduce them... I will try and get some images uploaded tonight

G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master

photo added to first post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:42 pm 

Looking at that, it'll probaly be easier to leave the "chrome" writing blank, and print the black / green. How shiny is the surface below the sticker?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Not shiny at all, I'm afraid. Here's the other one after I removed the completely ruined decal. It's a satin grey finish really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:46 pm 

Simple Job apparently... If we can get a better quality image of the original, he can redraw it and print it as a nice thin waterslide decal that will be easily lacquered over with standard acryllic clear coat.... you have a PM

G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Unfortunately that photo is as good as it gets. I tried taking one of the other decal (where I managed to get most of the mess off), but that just doesn't work out.

I can however send the decal itself over. The postage cost won't kill me.

Replied to your PM.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:49 am 
Retro Guru

Gil_m can do a light foil badge too if you ask. His pace head badge is done that way. It's much lighter material than the original but looks the same unless you press your nose against it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:35 am 
Sticker Master
Sticker Master

Quite easy to do but you will never match the brightness of the Green without screen printing them onto the foil as the originals would have been done and that's just not viable for small numbers

I have attached a picture of some Orange tubing foils I have done recently, the lower two are originals and the upper block of 4 are reproductions, they are more than expectable when seen independently but you can see the transparency of the colour on the foil when compared to the original screen printed or foil blocked versions

Would imagine you will end up paying somebody more for the artwork to be re-draw then the mech cost...

Attachments:
DSC00264.JPG
DSC00264.JPG [ 155.06 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:40 am 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

gil_m wrote:

Would imagine you will end up paying somebody more for the artwork to be re-draw then the mech cost...

QFT