xt M737 cranks JIS or ISO? and chainline Q?

Woodsman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi, I'm looking at some old 737 crank arms (to buy) and have no idea if they are JIS or ISO square taper? Also, would like to know the chainline (middle ring) with a standard 113mm BB if anyone should have such info?

Lastly, any known issues with these cranks, as they need to be durable for my riding style/abuse :shock:

Cheers
:)

I've just fitted 737 cranks to my Caygill.

113mm should be the right sized BB. Sheldon recommends 107 to 113, I went for 107 and ended up with 113, which was the only size that did not see the granny ring clash with the chain stays. It does seem to have given me a 51mm chain line, but the XT front mech has no issues reaching all three chain rings, although I am using XT thumbies, which may help.

I've no idea whether they are ISO or JIS; mine appear to have had a slightly chequered past, and sit well onto the tapers of a standard Shimano BB, although they are nice and tight, with no looseness or creaks.

all shimano cranks are JIS - JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standards. Shimano being the dominant force mean most stuff is JIS these days

Most Campag are ISO....

JIS.

Not all Shimano is JIS, some Dura-Ace Track groups are ISO, well, more accurately somewhere halfway between the two.

It's a 94/58 compact, so any ring with the right BCD will fit.

I have a combination of Middleburn, Vuelta and Stronglight on mine.

Woodsman":1c01a817 said:
So that mean 94mm bcd Neil? Not sure I've understood that..

YUP!

94 bcd outer and middle, 58 bcd granny.

But as you won't be using outer or granny, 94 bcd it is.

Back