PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:43 am 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

quality over quantity :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

feetabix wrote:
Where are you on the left side?........a friend of mine married a chap from Alberta and as a result I have canoed lake minnewanka, ski'd at lake Louise and banff, had a gun pointed at me, sat in a scooby doo style thunderstorm, had enough time to go for a short walk at a level crossing as the worlds longest train passed, ridden through the ice fields, hiked on the Athabaskan glacier in flip flops, seen plus 35 and minus 28 in one place and been chased by a bear!......your country is the only one I could have torn up my passport in and disappeared!......it's a wonderful place!...... :D

That was all going a bit Blade Runner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Ha!.......most of it was general holiday antics over the three visits we have made.....I got stopped by a female police officer in a huge tj hooker style cruiser early one morning though......I didn't completely stop at a deserted crossroads in a quiet town, and not being familiar with protocol I jumped out of the car to speak to her. She took this as an act of aggression and when I looked closely I could just about see the shiny brass tip of the chambered round in the gun she was pointing at me!..... :shock: ......I only wanted a bagel and a coffee!.....hadn't bargained on needing new shorts too!....

.......the bear incident occurred on a bike ride. There were five of us strung out in a wooded area, and as we emerged onto a fire road and slowed a bit to regroup the lad at the back yelled that we ought to keep moving......when we looked there was a huge brown bear bounding out of the trees probably 100 metres back.......the next mile was the fastest I had ridden all day, unsure wether to laugh or cry.......we were all fine but it was an experience I haven't had before or since!......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:54 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

feetabix wrote:
the bear incident occurred on a bike ride. There were five of us strung out in a wooded area, and as we emerged onto a fire road and slowed a bit to regroup the lad at the back yelled that we ought to keep moving......when we looked there was a huge brown bear bounding out of the trees probably 100 metres back.......the next mile was the fastest I had ridden all day, unsure wether to laugh or cry.......we were all fine but it was an experience I haven't had before or since!......

Bears aren't so bad. See them all the time out on the motos at the cottage. However, if you see a cub, GTFO NOW. Mama is around somewhere not too far away, and if she thinks you may harm her offspring she will rip you a new one, and chances are you'll bleed out before anything can be done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Oy, looking at some of these posts maybe I don't have that much of a problem after all. :P

Hmmm, Big brown bear around here means Grizzly. If that bear had really wanted you guys I don't think you'd have outrun them. They are surprisingly fast for their size.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:55 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The rest of the lads I was with were local.......they suggested it may have happened due to it being cub season, and implied the same thing in saying we were lucky not to have been any closer or we could have been toast......we didn't hang around, the one second I paused to look at her lives with me though......she was huge, beautiful, but huge!.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master

The History Man wrote:
feetabix wrote:
Where are you on the left side?........a friend of mine married a chap from Alberta and as a result I have canoed lake minnewanka, ski'd at lake Louise and banff, had a gun pointed at me, sat in a scooby doo style thunderstorm, had enough time to go for a short walk at a level crossing as the worlds longest train passed, ridden through the ice fields, hiked on the Athabaskan glacier in flip flops, seen plus 35 and minus 28 in one place and been chased by a bear!......your country is the only one I could have torn up my passport in and disappeared!......it's a wonderful place!...... :D

That was all going a bit Blade Runner.

Good call, I was thinking Douglas Adams... :lol: