Show me your 700C wheels in a 26" frame

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
Has anyone done this? I have a set of drum braked 700c wheels doing nothing (or at least I will do when I replace an axle on one of them). I quite like the idea of a set of nice weather commuting tyres on my mountain bike, with knobblies for offroad fun at the weekend.

Has anyone got a picture?

I am building a bike in my head at the moment which will include a 700c drop bar Zaskar, so very interested in the methods adopted by others already... looking forward to the replies

G

I have a drop bar pace 700c fast commuter currently in build......

The parts list ... mostly from my parts bin.

Orbea CX front fork.
Campy Chorus 10 speed Ergo's
New Success Rear Mech
XT front mech.
Bonty SSC-V compact drops
Ritchey adjustable stem 26cm
Avid BB7 Road version.
Hope 1st gen sealed Headset
Deore/WTB SX24 700c/29er wheelset
Biggest learning experience so far is drop levers mean Canti's, Mini-V's or Road disc brakes although I knew this before starting.
2nd biggest is dont bother with manufacturers cable kits. The standard campy one doesnt have enough length for the disc or the Mech cable routings on the Pace.
3rd biggest is fork clearance - I have a CX fork which has a farily narrow clearance widthwise. So my plans to be able to swap between 26" and 700c wheels only works with a 1.7" or so 26" tyre. I wanted road bike looks otherwise I would have more than likely gone for a set of Pace RC31's as with both disc mount and adjustable V brackets they are very versatile.

Attachments

• pace.JPG
    pace.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,653
I built my Rourke mtb frame up with 700c wheels and Mavic brake stud adaptors.

All went well until I fitted CX tyres and at that point I ran out of clearance because of the additional height of the tyres over the road tyres I had done all the mock up work with.

In the end I went back to 26" wheels, but kept the road gearing, drop bars etc. I overcame any braking issues by using FSA SL-K CX canti's, which are designed to work with road brake / shifter levers and are very powerful.

If you are only going to use road tyres you should get away with it.

One additional thing to watch is chain line / front mech. I used a SRAM GXP crankset, but because of the additional width of the chain stays on my mtb, the inner chain ring touched the stay. I changed to a Truvativ triple crankset, with the granny ring removed, but that moved the chain line too far out for the road front mech to work properly, so in the end I have compact road rings on a mtb crankset, a road rear mech and mtb front mech. It all works fine, but it really is a bit Frankenbike.

One thing I should mention is that there are plenty of 700c men's on the main drop bar mtb thread - well worth a look for research purposes.

My STS :

sts76.jpg

Hopefully Paul still produce V-brakes that alloys to use 700c wheels on Mtb frame..

Here is my Klein Attitude with 700c - Fixie or SS - cyclo cross tyres - Onza brakes modified with longer bars on the cantilevers to reach the wheel - simple mod !

Attachments

• kLEIN SS.jpg
    kLEIN SS.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,612
NeilM":67v88ycy said:
One additional thing to watch is chain line / front mech. I used a SRAM GXP crankset, but because of the additional width of the chain stays on my mtb, the inner chain ring touched the stay. I changed to a Truvativ triple crankset, with the granny ring removed, but that moved the chain line too far out for the road front mech to work properly, so in the end I have compact road rings on a mtb crankset, a road rear mech and mtb front mech. It all works fine, but it really is a bit Frankenbike.

One nice point to note is that the new-ish Shimano "Compact" road crank size is exactly the same as the older ATB (non compact) MTB crank size. So you can dig out your old 110mm BCD chainsets and run these with proper retro front mechs and BB's. Then chain line isnt such an issue.

Here is my Ibis 700c conversion. CX fork in front and 26" to 700c canti bracket in rear. Tires are 700c x 40 but with skinnier road bike tires you should be able to almost match the circumference of your knobbies.

mark45acp":1jl4njgp said:
Here is my Klein Attitude with 700c - Fixie or SS - cyclo cross tyres - Onza brakes modified with longer bars on the cantilevers to reach the wheel - simple mod !

Looks nice. Any tyre/crown interface issues? Doesn't look like the forks would have to compress too far before there would be...

Back