Rock lobster

Farmergiles

Retro Newbie
Greetings from a wintery New Zealand. I have an original rock lobster steel frame from around 1994. Looking at your previous posts it his one of the early Nti bikes with 1" headset, ritchey dropouts, in an awesome metallic dark green. Frame is awesome and rides well, I built it with quadra 21r's and LX/XT mix on Mavic 217 rims.

Forks are knackered, elastomers completely degraded. Should I replace with rigid? Struggling to find any 1" Aheadset forks at all out here ( I was thinking some project2 rigid forks I remember around that time).
Any ideas?
Thinking about making it into a single speed....

Farmergiles":q84v33yn said:
Greetings from a wintery New Zealand. I have an original rock lobster steel frame from around 1994. Looking at your previous posts it his one of the early Nti bikes with 1" headset, ritchey dropouts, in an awesome metallic dark green. Frame is awesome and rides well, I built it with quadra 21r's and LX/XT mix on Mavic 217 rims.

Forks are knackered, elastomers completely degraded. Should I replace with rigid? Struggling to find any 1" Aheadset forks at all out here ( I was thinking some project2 rigid forks I remember around that time).
Any ideas?
Thinking about making it into a single speed....

Welcome :D
I had one of these frames (and, strangely enough, I believe it's now in NZ!) and loved it.
I had the same fork issues and found some nice Bombers for it in the end.
I've got one of the later 853 frames now, built up as a rigid winter hack.
Any pics?

I also need some new rims as the current Mavic 217 are pulling through at the eyelets. Anyone has any 26" 32 hole rims to suit canti brakes or even a complete wheel set in nz I'd like to know about it please!

Back