Clipless merits

Koupe

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm considering junking my beloved V12s for some SPDs. No sensible reason (except possibly that they look a bit too chunky on a svelte build) and I've never even considered using clipless until now. Before DMR, I was using Sharkbites, and before that it was Tioga clips :cool: As such, I know the square root of sod-all about them.

Am I right in guessing that the only real differences between low- and high-end are weight and bearing quality? Are there any partucular ones to avoid like the pox? I've heard (maybe unreliably) that some are more likely to aggravate knee problems than others, is there any truth in it? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely would I be, in reality, to pull up at a junction and gracefully fall over with my feet jammed in place?

...highly likely!

Did just that on my cro-mega as I pulled up at some lights in Central London; luckily I fell to my left onto the pavement! :oops:

The main thing I found after years of riding flats was that my feet were too close together and my knees did indeed play up because I couldn't move my feet around; bought myself some 20mm Specialized pedal extenders and jobs a good'un :cool:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... 56813.html

I also have some of these...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/winwood-deck ... prod18234/

...for when I can't be *rsed with them! :LOL:

(some 'less expensive' extenders at the bottom of the page in that link as well :cool: )

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to fit some spd's to my bike. Since then I have been converted. As long as they are set up properly I find they make you pedal properly and efficiently and have no problems with my knees.

I have only come a cropper once in the last 7 years or so riding with them. That was when after eating a banana I rode over to a bin (at a very busy Dorset viewpoint) forgot I had the spd's and then fell over onto/in the bin - a bit like Delboy falling down the pub hatch in only fools and horses :oops: :facepalm:

:D

And on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely would I be, in reality, to pull up at a junction and gracefully fall over with my feet jammed in place?

10, you'll do it at least once. :D

Many years ago, when I first fitted shoe plates so that you couldn't get your feet out of the pedals without first flipping your toe straps lose, I pulled up at a junction with seven or eight other riders when we were out on a club run. I'd forgotten to loosen my toe strap, so I put my hand on the shoulder of the rider next to me, unfortunately he hadn't got his foot down yet and I basically knocked all the riders to my left over like dominoes. Fortunately, there was no real harm done and they were a good humoured bunch and saw the funny side of it. I got a fair bit of stick for it though.

Koupe":313jfxlp said:
how likely would I be, in reality, to pull up at a junction and gracefully fall over with my feet jammed in place?

We_are_Stevo":313jfxlp said:
...highly likely!

Wut? Really?

I can't imagine riding a bike without being clipped in, perhaps with the exception of a pootle to the shops or if riding retro (clips and straps still), it makes a huge difference, most forms of pedal have some sort of tension adjustment, you can go for something with plenty of float and there are various options for most budgets. I run Crank Bros on my commuters but have moved back to Shimano on my MTB as I feel like they are more definitively clipped in.

Falling over will be a rarity, but I guarantee there will be quite a few 'squeaky bum' moments where you forget or have to stop suddenly and are thinking about braking rather than unclipping - its all part of the fun :D

If trying clipless for the first time, plan on hitting the pavement at least once. If not, you're not doing it right.

Back